beer homebrew

well, i decided to brew one more batch of extract (malt extract) before i go to all grain. will be brewing on monday - a double IPA. should be about 13% abv, have a very high bitterness, and probably wont be ready to drink for 6-8 weeks, at the earliest. figured id post here, ill make sure to take some shots as i go along and post it up. anyone here brew? i know one person was posting about doing a homebrew, but i dont remember who it was! :)

sounds delicious! i was posting about it before and put up a few pics. unfortunately we killed the yeast because we are morons and also the instructions we were following left out a piece of vital information...not to add the yeast to the wort right after the wort comes off the stove. :)

in the end, we let it sit for a while and tried to bottle some for the learning experience. the beer had a decent smell with hint of rotten something or other haha. and it looked like something had been growing a little on the surface of the beer. i didn't try any, but two of my roommates did, and i guess it goes without saying th at it wasn't good.

next time around we intend on using glass containers instead of these white plastic barrels. also will be ordering the ingredients from a website instead of buying them at the store here. the stuff they have there looks like its been sitting there since 72!

oh man! yeah thats why it wouldnt ferment. haha

you cant kill the yeast :)

heres the recipie im going to use..

Recipe Gravity: 1.128 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 152 IBU
Recipe Color: 14° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.032
Alcohol by Volume: 13.2%
Alcohol by Weight: 10.1%

Ingredients
-----------
Light malt extract 8.00 lb, extract
Extra Light D.M.E. 6.00 lb, extract
Wheat D.M.E. 1.00 lb, extract
Crystal 20L 1.00 lb, steeped
Gambrinus honey malt 1.00 lb, steeped
Briess victory 0.50 lb, steeped

Warrior 2.00 oz, whole, 60 minutes
Amarillo 0.33 oz, pellet, 45 minutes
Amarillo 0.33 oz, pellet, 30 minutes
Amarillo 0.33 oz, pellet, 15 minutes
Amarillo 0.33 oz, pellet, 10 minutes
Amarillo 0.33 oz, pellet, 5 minutes
Amarillo 0.33 oz, pellet, 0 minutes
Simcoe 0.33 oz, pellet, 45 minutes
Simcoe 0.33 oz, pellet, 30 minutes
Simcoe 0.33 oz, pellet, 15 minutes
Simcoe 0.33 oz, pellet, 10 minutes
Simcoe 0.33 oz, pellet, 5 minutes
Simcoe 0.33 oz, pellet, 0 minutes
Centennial 0.33 oz, pellet, 45 minutes
Centennial 0.33 oz, pellet, 30 minutes
Centennial 0.33 oz, pellet, 15 minutes
Centennial 0.33 oz, pellet, 10 minutes
Centennial 0.33 oz, pellet, 5 minutes
Centennial 0.33 oz, pellet, 0 minutes
Crystal 1.00 oz, whole, Dry Hop

American Ale yeast 1.00 unit, 2 packets of US-56 dry yeast

steep as usual.
60 min boil
primary 2 weeks
secondary 1 (thats what it recommends, im going to go for at least 10 days, maybe 14).
gonna ferment at 70ish, maybe 68. (varying room temp this time of year)
not doing any crashing or anything
bottling as usual
will let it sit for at least 2-3 weeks before trying. may bottle a few small bottles for test samples, but most of these are going to be bombers. my friend and i split the cost of ingredients ($90!!!) so thats another reason im going to all grain - damn extract is so expensive.

oh, and instead of warrior for the 60 im going to use columbus. mine should be a tad more bitter. this is basically a founders devil dancer clone i think.

Back