• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Homemade Hot pepper sauce from home grown peppers?

Hi Ya

I like to cook and make sauces and came across this site on homemade hot sauce:

Homemade hot pepper sauce recipe

I also like growing fresh veggies, but have never grown hot peppers. I was wondering how many hot pepper plants I would need to make a batch of my own hot sauce.

Z

There is a multitude of chiles to grow, depends on the heat you want. You've come to the right place to find out about chile growing and cooking with them. Spend some time going through the forums. There is a wealth of info there and a whole lot of helpful folks to answer questions.

5 or more peppers per bottle can be more than enough so you don't need a large number of plants.

I like making sauces with my peppers and I've found that the non ornamental peppers are a good choice. Some of the larger shaped pods can also give you more bang for your buck too.

And as above theres a lot of posts on sauce making and you will get an idea of how many peppers people add into their sauces

First off :welcome:

Hot sauce making has a large number of variables, Flavour, Heat, Colour, Smell, consistancy etc. All of these need to be taken into account to make a good sauce, the heat level is dependant on the type of chilli and amount used (entirely up to you) but all different chillies effect the flavour as well, some go with some things and others go other things. Check out the different forums and you will find a wealth of knowledge on the topic.

Good luck.

Jas

Back