• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Honey Mustard Chicken (no pics)

Thought I'd post this because I only have one friend who eats the hot stuff anymore (but that just gives you more folks to torture). So, here we go-

4 Whole chicken breasts (boned chicken thighs work better but use what ya got)
1/4 Cup Whole Grain Mustard
A Large spoonfull of good honey
1 Medium chopped onion
Sliced Chiles to taste (I use a small handful serranos most of the time)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Oil to fry

Salt and pepper chicken, rub with the mustard and honey. Let set about 15-20 minutes. Fry chicken till done, set aside. Add more oil to pan, fry onions till they are just starting to soften, toss in the peppers. When the veg is just cooked toss the chicken back into pan to heat back up.

When done use as you wish (I usually just make it into a sandwich or serve on rice)
________

Now, I can't stand most mustard you buy so, here is my favorite all-purpose, whole grain mustard-

Warning- Do not taste until it's sat at least two days! Just trust me on this.

1 pound Black Mustard seeds, whole (I've also used Brown mustard seeds)
Apple Cider Vinegar (the amount depends on the seeds)
A Jar of Pear Preserves, a smallish jar (about 300g from what the last jar said)
A few big pinches of Salt (sea salt if you have it)
Half spoonful of Cinnamon, a few cloves, and a few black pepper corns
A large glass jar, make sure the seeds will only go halfway up jar
A Good Blender (mine is a commercial blender and I still have to do this in batches)

Pour mustard seeds in jar, cover with vinegar till it's well above the seeds (at least the first joint on your ring finger). Let sit overnight.

Drain jar into a non-reactive bowl and mix in the rest. Run the mess through the blender, in batches, till smooth. Add vinegar as needed to thin.

When it's as smooth as you like it place it into clean jars and leave out on the counter at least 2 days at room temp. I know, doesn't sound safe but I've never had a problem so in my opinion, it's safe enough. The reason for this is because the mustard is extremely bitter when too fresh. I usually let mine sit out three days. After it's sat out, I store it in the fridge so the heat doesn't lessen.

Back