• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hoophouse Storm Damage

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I am convinced you can build anything out of PVC...

the hoophouse I built back in February just wasn't sturdy enough to withstand 75 mph winds...this happened while I was gone to Mississippi about 12 days ago...

hoophouseincident2.jpg

hoophouseincident3.jpg

hoophouseincident4.jpg

soooo...I decided to use "old man's tinkertoys" to build something much more sturdy...this is 1 1/2" schedule 40 PVC...I think this will withstand anything short of a tornado mother nature can throw at me..

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

now that I have this done, I can deal with the yellowing tops of my overwintered scorpions...dang, these thing are Mg hungry...

Dang AJ to drive 800 miles and come home to the fallen hoop house, I can understand why the the stronger structure with the crazy weather your having. Your backyard is looking like the Taj Mahal of pepper gardens, I like the gable roof look. No more worries about it crashing down again looks really nice, waiting to see if the shade helps your fruit set in the heat of the summer. Almost out of room for any more garden projects but I'm sure you'll find more space. :eek: Good luck with the rest of your season.

I am waiting fo you to just break down and build a full timber or steel frame greenhouse back there. Ha! But the renovations look good too.

after he sells all 50 billion pounds of scorpions over there i think he might have the funding haha....

Dang AJ to drive 800 miles and come home to the fallen hoop house, I can understand why the the stronger structure with the crazy weather your having. Your backyard is looking like the Taj Mahal of pepper gardens, I like the gable roof look. No more worries about it crashing down again looks really nice, waiting to see if the shade helps your fruit set in the heat of the summer. Almost out of room for any more garden projects but I'm sure you'll find more space. :eek: Good luck with the rest of your season.

Thanks Cappy...800 miles is close...it is over 600 each way...

Oh that's a drag, but the renovations looks really good.. did you suffer any casualties?

one broken limb...my sweet wife did a good job of damage control...
I am waiting fo you to just break down and build a full timber or steel frame greenhouse back there. Ha! But the renovations look good too.

This is the final product I am wanting....and it is timber AND steel...only issue will be cooling in the summer time and I am already looking into a misting cooling system that you can actually foliar feed through but the leaves don't even look like they are wet...

solargreenhouse2.jpg

after he sells all 50 billion pounds of scorpions over there i think he might have the funding haha....

just remember our overhead and I am splitting the profits...actually have to turn a profit first and am still a long way from that...

AJ, here's one that would work for you year-round.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20505-check-out-this-greenhouse/page__gopid__472749#entry472749

A contactor friend of ours build this for himself. Were he lives, they have snow 5+ months a year, sub-zero temps for 4-6 weeks at a time, and 100+ temps in the summer.

Nice Job on the new framework. I LOVE pvc! I think we should start a "show what you've built with PVC" thread. :lol:

If it doesn't kill AJ's garden it makes it better. Looking great. I am starting to think your yard is getting bigger AJ. Until you are roof planting you haven't run out of room. :rofl:

AJ, here's one that would work for you year-round.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20505-check-out-this-greenhouse/page__gopid__472749#entry472749

A contactor friend of ours build this for himself. Were he lives, they have snow 5+ months a year, sub-zero temps for 4-6 weeks at a time, and 100+ temps in the summer.

Nice Job on the new framework. I LOVE pvc! I think we should start a "show what you've built with PVC" thread. :lol:

thats very nice SL but I don't think I have the room or the bucks to build that...I am limited to an area 24' long and 16' wide....the one I showed the picture of is supposed to be the most thermally efficient design out there from what I understand...my problem won't be so much heating it as it will be cooling it...and the shell of mine will be cinder block filled with cement...

If it doesn't kill AJ's garden it makes it better. Looking great. I am starting to think your yard is getting bigger AJ. Until you are roof planting you haven't run out of room. :rofl:

that's kinda the idea...I don't think the wife would let me roof plant... :rofl:

Man that's a pain AJ. The new structure looks super solid. What percentage of the sun does your shade cloth cut out?

Sorry to see the wind damage. New house nice and strong, better luck to you.

thanks Al...appreciate it...

Man that's a pain AJ. The new structure looks super solid. What percentage of the sun does your shade cloth cut out?

was pretty easy actually...just had to do it...shade cloth is 30%...I may go to 50 next year...

AJ I never really thought about it but my homemade "economy" greenhouse survived Katrina & Gustav. I made it out of 2x4's, 1x4's, PVC pipe, fiberglass panels,(lower) and polycarbonate on the roof, though the original roof was PVC panels but I had to replace them after 3 years. I'm gonna have to relocate the greenhouse & make it bigger this year I was thinking of a
hybrid system using film rather than poly for the roof to save a few bucks. I'll post a few pics if I get a chance to take some.

AJ I never really thought about it but my homemade "economy" greenhouse survived Katrina & Gustav. I made it out of 2x4's, 1x4's, PVC pipe, fiberglass panels,(lower) and polycarbonate on the roof, though the original roof was PVC panels but I had to replace them after 3 years. I'm gonna have to relocate the greenhouse & make it bigger this year I was thinking of a
hybrid system using film rather than poly for the roof to save a few bucks. I'll post a few pics if I get a chance to take some.

cool Butch...can't believe it made it through Katrina...you were right in the path on the west side of it weren't you?...

looking forward to your pics...you comin' down to NOLA next weekend?

cool Butch...can't believe it made it through Katrina...you were right in the path on the west side of it weren't you?...

looking forward to your pics...you comin' down to NOLA next weekend?
Yep, Katrina went to the east of us, she wasn't very kind to the peppers or the house, but I think Gustav hit me a little harder with more damage. Took out a apple tree, some eaves
off the house and the power for a week, I was more prepared in the garden & had all the peppers staked and tied. I will be at NOLA. I'll be either at Jacs Tailgators booth trying to sell a few bottles of BBQ & hot sauces or trying to put together the Fleur De Le Awards
for the competitors. Are you gonna make it to the show? Should be pretty cool this year!

Yep, Katrina went to the east of us, she wasn't very kind to the peppers or the house, but I think Gustav hit me a little harder with more damage. Took out a apple tree, some eaves
off the house and the power for a week, I was more prepared in the garden & had all the peppers staked and tied. I will be at NOLA. I'll be either at Jacs Tailgators booth trying to sell a few bottles of BBQ & hot sauces or trying to put together the Fleur De Le Awards
for the competitors. Are you gonna make it to the show? Should be pretty cool this year!

gonna try and make NOLA...looking forward to a face to face with you if I do...

I am headed to Rocky Creek in about 2 hours...first harvest tomorrow...

Back