• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Horn Worm!

Silver_Surfer said:
Spray your plants with Spinosad or BT and it will do the work for you. Both are organic and made from bacteria that work by paralyzing the worms and thus starving them to death.

Will the spray effect my ladybug population? I have quit a few residents and several larvae as well and would hate to kill them in the process.

AlabamaJack said:
if the damage looks like pictures in the link, it is leaf cutter bees...and as far as I know they don't do much damage to the plant other than make half moon cuts out of the leaves...

http://images.google.com/images?sou...&q=leaf cutter bees&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

DUDE!!! Those are them, and in fact I have been seeing those same bees pollinating my plants too. Littler with white and black striped abdomens/thorax(whichever you call the back end of a bee). I won't sweat it too much then I guess. Kind of unnerving though.

Thanks man.

Edit

In fact I had been waiting for the cut out to get bigger and leaves to disappear in the last couple weeks as the worm got bigger. Makes total sense the cut outs are the same size and it's still just staying as cut outs.

Wow never knew bees could do that. At first I thought slugs, then, horn worm, but now it may actually be a bee. I noticed all the damage on mine where leafs toward the top and all had that half moon cutout, but seemed to over lap several times on 1 single leaf. It's a huge plant and the damage was only on 10 leafs at most. I was a bit worried as I read a horn worm can strip a plant of it's leafs in 24 hours.

Hornworm neutralized on my Gold Bullet.

20090912hornwormsm.jpg

adult hornworm

saw an adult hornworm today cruising thru..was brown not green but that critter could move..got 2 pics of it but i'm blocked from uploading pics ..lol guess u got to guess what they look like now and they aint green

you have to join a photo hosting site such as photobucket, image shack, etc..

once you join and upload your pictures, copy the image code from the site and paste it into your response...I don't think you are blocked from posting pics

by the way, great shot Tony...

bigt said:
Hornworm neutralized on my Gold Bullet.

Wow nice pic. I would capture it put it in a small tank with lid and watch the things on it's back hatch!! They are hornets / wasp right??

QuadShotz said:

Couple nights ago I stepped out onto the back porch and saw something hover and then land on one of my hab plants. I walked over and this huge moth popped up and started flying at me. I swatted at it and hit it albeit not harming it. It then split and headed over the brick wall to the neighbors. I saw it do a couple wide 360's and then it came back. I was standing between the plants it was trying to get and it started hovering around me. I threw my hands up in the air it it went and landed on the awning over the sliding glass door to the porch. This 'thang was over 2 inches long, which explains the size of the hornworms I've run across.

IMG_1517.jpg

The next day after work I went and had a good lookover where the beast had landed when I saw it. Sho' 'nuff, an egg on a leaf exactly like the one pictured above was there. I summarily found another 4 eggs. I removed them. Today I checked the plants again. The bitch had returned sometime last night and I removed another 6 eggs from other plants that prior to last night had none. I'll be going to Home Despot for more Sevin. The stuff works great on the bastards. Too bad it kills everything else as well.

Salute', TB.

LGHT said:
Wow nice pic. I would capture it put it in a small tank with lid and watch the things on it's back hatch!! They are hornets / wasp right??

Yeah, I think it's wasp larvae. I'm just leaving it alone and letting nature take it's course. :)

Declare Jihad on them, killem' all and let God sortem' out. I had one plant completely wrecked in 24 hours from those evil things awhile back. I didn't make it to home despot today for Sevin spray but tomorrow...battle stations!

Salute', TB.

i had very little trouble from hornworms this year and the only one i found looked like this. the wasp larve do all the dirty work. wonderful little wasps are no harm to humans.

1001014b.jpg

imaguitargod said:
They bleed green :shocked:

Insects don't have blood with the O2-transporting blood pigment hemoglobin like we know it from mammals. They have an open circulation of hemolymph. This hemolymph is colorless with some species or yellow or green with other species.

Back