• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

hornillas glog 2012 with lots of pictures

Hi everyone,

i'm new to this forum. My name is Christoph and this is my first season growing different varieties of hot pepper. Last season i already grew some red Habanero. Now i try to grow the following hot peppers (name/number of seeds/number of seeds that came out):

- Naga (not sure which type of Naga exactly, was just declared as "Naga" - 6/1)
- Habanero red (3/2)
- Jalapeño (2/0)
- something like Cayenne, just sold as "Chili" (2/0)
- something like Czech Black or Black Hungarian (the left red one on this picture - 2/0)
- "Gelbe Kirsche" (yellow cherry, the yellow ones on this picture - 2/2)

I'm not totally sure about the names, because i got most seeds from fruits i bought on markets etc. and which were not declared correctly.

I'm also waiting for some seeds i ordered an which i want to grow to:

- CGN 21500
- Limón
- Trinidad Scorpion

And i am looking for seeds for Pimenta da Neyde. I wanted to order some at pepperlover.com, were i saw them yesterday, but when i had a look today, i couldn't find it anymore. Seems to be sold out. Any suggestions were i can get some?

Just wanted to show some pics. All plants which i grew in jiffys did not grow very well after they sprouted. Some days ago i started to give them some fertilizer. Now the seem to start growing very well.

Chilis140312-1.jpg

Jalapeño, Cayenne-like, Cayenne-like,
Jalapeño, Gelbe Kirsche, Gelbe Kirsche,
red mild pepper, Manzano Amarillo (with still its seed coat on)

Chilis140312-2.jpg

Limón, Limón, Limón,
CGN21500, CGN21500, CGN21500
Beths Mystery #2, Bode Roxa, Bode Roxa,
Beths Mystery #1, Trinidad Scorpion, Trinidad Scorpion,
Pimenta da Neyde, Pimenta da Neyde, Aji Limo Rojo

Chilis140312-3.jpg

Habanero, which seems to be sick an does not grow very well since some days

Chilis140312-4.jpg

Habanero

Chilis140312-5.jpg

Naga

A little update with pictures of my biggest plants:

_MG_0271.jpg

Naga.

_MG_0273.jpg

Habanero.

_MG_0267.jpg

Cayenne.

_MG_0275.jpg

Jalapeño.

_MG_0268.jpg

Mystery #2 (my biggest plant).

Some other plants are still very small, around the third or fourth pair of leaves. But most look very good and i hope the will grow big enough until mid/end of may, when i want to put them outside or put them in bigger tubs to keep them inside.

I told this to be Cayenne. But i don't know for sure what it is. I took the seed from a fruit i bought in the supermarket here in germany. It was just called "Chili" or something like this. I thought it maybe could be Cayenne, but this was just because it were long red peppers, i think they were medium hot. I did not take a picture of the fruit. But maybe you have some idea what variety this could be or tell me it could be Cayenne or definitly is not.

Thanks!

[Edit] I googled around a little and i'm now pretty sure that it' Dutch Red, because this is what is sold most in german supermarkets. I also had a look at some pictures an the plant look similar to mine, i think.

Your transplants and seedlings look good, hornilla.
Good luck making your May plant out!

The first flower opened up today. It belongs to Gelbe Kirsche/Yellow Cherry.

_MG_0390.jpg

_MG_0391.jpg

There are flowers growing on many other plants to. Some will open up soon, i think, others are still very small.
I put the first three plants into their final pods, which i will keep indoor. The rest will follow soon.
And i gave away seven plants and will give away seven more to my family. At least i will keep 13, seven of them indoor, six outside.

Some more pictures of some of my plants. I potted up the last ones i keep for myself. Five plants (plus one tomato) are in front of my kitchen window, seven plants in single pods indoor. And i also started growing some Rawith from Kenya, which i bought in a market. They just sprouted.

This is my mystery plant #2 from the mixed mystery seeds from Beth (peppermania). It's my biggest plant. It's around 65cm high and has one flower that seems to be starting to build a pod ant two not yet open flowers. I'm curious what variety this is.
chili120515-2.jpg
chili120515-1.jpg

This are my first pods. They are on the plant, which i think of it is a Dutch Red Pepper. The seeds were from peppers i bought in a market. The next picture its from a flower of this pepper.
chili120515-3.jpg

chili120515-4.jpg

This is my Pimenta da Neyde.
chili120515-5.jpg

This is my mystery plant #1. Maybe you can see, that the younger leaves are very light green or yellow. A little of this light color stays also in the bigger leaves. No idea what it is, but very curious s well.
chili120515-6.jpg

Some pictures taken today.

_MG_0391_2.jpg

Aji Limo Rojo

_MG_0396.jpg

Pod of my mystery plant #2 (seeds from peppermania). Some idea, what this is?

_MG_0398.JPG

Gelbe Kirsche/yellow cherry.

_MG_0399.jpg

Limón.

_MG_0400.jpg

Dutch Red???

_MG_0406.jpg

Mystery plant #1. Seems to be a Aji Habanero. (Thanks to FayahBen for identifying it!)

_MG_0409.jpg

Naga.

Today I tried to cross some varietys. I tried "Mystery #2 x Limón" (c. annuum x c. chinense) and "Bode Roxa x Aji Limo Rojo" (c. chinense x c. chinense). I am curious if it worked and what i will get.

Nice! Just caught up on your grow. everything is looking great! Im loving your verieties. Congrats on all your pods coming in. you will be eating fresh chillies in no time!

Thank you, Beehunter. I can't wait to try the first ripe pod. And i am still waiting for the first pods on my other plants (like CGN21500 and Trinidad Scorpion for example).

Beautiful plants and pics Hornilla! The Aji Lima Rojo in the silver pail is super nice looking! Look forward to seeing more pics.

Mike

Thank you, capsidadburn!

I took some more pictures of Mystery #2. Maybe someone can help me ID it? I already had a look at the varieties Beth sells at the moment, but it seemed not to be still in her catalog or i just was looking for the wrong aspects.

As you can see on some pictures, the stems show some brown/violet color. The color of the fruits is dark green. The pods are around 6 to 7 centimeters long and around 3 centimeters wide at the moment. It shows only two pods right now and only three more (open) flowers. It is C. Annuum, i guess.

Mystery2_1.jpg

Mystery2_2.jpg

Mystery2_3.jpg

Mystery2_4.jpg

Mystery2_5.JPG

I already wrote, that i tried to create some hybrids. Well, it seems like two of them worked. Well, i'm not sure if, but they pods are growing.

_MG_0393.jpg

The first pod on my Bode Roxa. If my cross worked, i will get some Bode Roxa x Aji Limo Rojo seeds.

_MG_0394.jpg

Two pods on my mystery #2 (maybe it is a Fresno). I hope i will get some Mystery #2 x Limón seeds.

_MG_0392.jpg

These are the first pods on my Aji Limo Rojo.

My first pods are starting to change their color. It's Dutch Red (or what i think of, that it is Dutch Red):

_MG_0391_3.jpg

Aji Limo Rojo started to get some violet shapes. I think thats from the sunlight.

_MG_0394.JPG

This is Mystery #1:
_MG_0396_2.jpg

_MG_0397.JPG

Today i noticed spider mites on my Dutch Red. I gave it shower today and put it to an isolated place. If it will not recover, i will harvest the peppers.

They infected four more plants. At least, to get rid of them, i cut all the leaves off the infected plants an put them outside, and kept them wetter than other plants. At the moment, the spider mites seem to be gone, the plants start to build new leaves and a lot of pods are getting ripe now (well, the annuum). But the pods on my mystery plant #2 and on my Dutch Red, which are two of the infected plants, seem to have some other problems (see the pods on the pictures below). I'm not sure what is the reason. Maybe the plant wants to get rid of the pods and concentrate on building new leaves, maybe it is because the plants get too much water. Maybe something, that has to do with the spider mites or just something else.

These pictures are from the infected plants:

_MG_0402.jpg

Mystery #2. Here you can see, what i mentioned above.

_MG_0403.jpg

Dutch Red. Seems to have a similar problem as mystery #2.

_MG_0404.jpg

This is my youngest plant, which had spider mites, too. Because there were no pods yet, it seems to regenerate the best. It is a Rawit. Well, the seeds were from a pod which was sold as Rawit. But as far as i know, there are several different varieties which are called Rawit when sold in europe.

_MG_0405.JPG

Limón.

_MG_0406_2.jpg

Gelbe Kirsche/yellow cherry.

_MG_0395.JPG

The first ripe pod. Dutch Red. (Picture was taken about 2 weeks ago.)

Back