• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hornworm problems

A week ago I found out I had a hornworm problem. Came out one morning for work and noticed my plants was looking a little grim, upon further inspection I noticed chunks bitten out of my reapers! I started freaking out!, this is my first time growing anything and didnt know what was going on! Being as it was still dark out, I got my wife to go out as soon as it got light out to see if she could see what was going on. She sends me a picture of the hornworm on the edge of my pot! Droppings was everywhere! Long story short; I lost around 22 peppers between 2 plants! I have a few that Im questioning whether to let go or keep and was hoping I could get some help from you guys here! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• B0D427E6-68F0-4707-8D45-BF5F99CA045F.jpeg
    B0D427E6-68F0-4707-8D45-BF5F99CA045F.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 97
Ihg3891 said:
A week ago I found out I had a hornworm problem. Came out one morning for work and noticed my plants was looking a little grim, upon further inspection I noticed chunks bitten out of my reapers! I started freaking out!, this is my first time growing anything and didnt know what was going on! Being as it was still dark out, I got my wife to go out as soon as it got light out to see if she could see what was going on. She sends me a picture of the hornworm on the edge of my pot! Droppings was everywhere! Long story short; I lost around 22 peppers between 2 plants! I have a few that Im questioning whether to let go or keep and was hoping I could get some help from you guys here! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Try link below - does damage look similar?
    is this damage from a hole boring insect?
_

The top picture isn't hornworm damage.  Looks more like sunscald.  If a hornworm wants to eat pods, it will much more fully consume them. 
I mean, I would just throw that pod away.  But if it's a question, then I guess that might mean that you have precious few pods?

I have a good bit on there still but I did lose about 20 or so to that worm. Just trying to hold on to whats left if safe and possible! Thanks for the help!

If it defoliated your plant, it exposed the fruit to sun scald.  No worries, the leaves will bounce back with vigor. Although your season is a bit short now...

The damn things found my brown bhuts over a week ago and they are bouncing back pretty good. Yesterday or the day before they found my aji panca plants too. Last year i had 2 pots with hormworm damage and they did damage peppers also but the damage does not look like yours.

Yes, the peppers are still safe to eat if that is what you are asking. The hornworms don't make them poisonous by feeding on them.

Get a uv flashlight and check your plants often at night. The hornworm basically glows in the dark this way.

The pods are probably safe to eat, but I'd probably just compost the damaged ones. For me it seems when bugs attack the pods that pod starts to ripen early, they probably are not nearly as good that way anyways.

Mr.joe said:
Get a uv flashlight and check your plants often at night. The hornworm basically glows in the dark this way.

The pods are probably safe to eat, but I'd probably just compost the damaged ones. For me it seems when bugs attack the pods that pod starts to ripen early, they probably are not nearly as good that way anyways.
Yes! You're right about them glowing. I thought I was trippin' when I noticed whole branches missing. "WTF is this shizz...?"
Then I did the early morning hunt for Bast-Holes and found one.
3E9vL07.jpg

This guy was cleansed with two bricks in a bucket. Lol

Back