• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Horse manure??

Just a couple of weeks ago some horses were moved into the pasture next to me, well I found this morning that filling up a five gallon bucket of manure was pretty damn easy (and odorless).

Of course the obvious question is, does anyone have luck with it say for tranplanting peppers? Maybe even tomatoes? I'm in the process of raising my garden bed, and thought about mixing some of it up with the top soil a couple of weeks before (or at the time of) transplanting.

I read on here some like it for garlic, what about other veggies?

I weeded some last year, so this year I've decided to use a lay down of fabric covered with mulch to remedy that. Hopefully that should keep them down.

I've always heard that horse manure is "hot" meaning it needs to be worked into the ground and allowed to decompose. I also believe you will need to add limestone to the ground to adjust the pH.

Mike

I use a fair amount of horse manure, but it does need to work awhile. It's not as hot as some poop, but I'd want it tilled in at least a month before planting.

Pam said:
I use a fair amount of horse manure, but it does need to work awhile. It's not as hot as some poop, but I'd want it tilled in at least a month before planting.

That wont be a problem since I just got seedlings to come up. I have plenty of time.

Or you could wait for the "horse patties" to dry out in the field before collecting them and then crumble them into the dirt? Not sure how long that takes.

I am by no means an expert on horse turds, nor growing peppers, but my elderly neighbor grows incredible tomatoes with the aid of horse manure. The tomato plants and the consequent yield he achieves are mammoth and he swears by horse manure as the only necessary fertilizer. considering the fact that peppers and tomatoes can be given similar fertilizers (to a certain degree), I'm sure its worth giving a go. One thing to consider is what the horses have been eating as the higher quality the grass/feed the horsies have been grazing on, the better the effect the manure has as a fert. or am I just talking manure??? (haha)

I have used horse manure before and planted straight away with no harm done to the plants. Everything from Chilis, tomatoes, corn, zucchini and much more went in that year. I was surprised however at the amount of weeds i had never seen in my garden before. be prepared for lots of weeding.

I have used horse poop a lot and it's GREAT for almost any type of chilli/vegie/herb...But yes the weeds are a real pain. You need to wait till the poop has dried a bit...fresh poop isn't the best thing and not as easy to handle...:lol:

CaLoR said:
Just a couple of weeks ago some horses were moved into the pasture next to me, well I found this morning that filling up a five gallon bucket of manure was pretty damn easy (and odorless).

Of course the obvious question is, does anyone have luck with it say for tranplanting peppers? Maybe even tomatoes? I'm in the process of raising my garden bed, and thought about mixing some of it up with the top soil a couple of weeks before (or at the time of) transplanting.

I read on here some like it for garlic, what about other veggies?

I guess tomatos like it! I'm tilling it into my garden this year...:pray:

This is such horse shit!!

I had to say it. :lol:

Thanks for the replies. I will wait it out and see how it dries then decide at the end of the month wether to use it or not.

SWEET PEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a local farmer swears by the stuff.....You take a big pile of the horse manure and let it compost for a minimum of a year and then you use it....He tells me you compost it for a year to burn out any seeds that are in the manure and this cuts down on weeds big time!

I always use well aged manure in the garden/containers or add fresh to the composter, but I'll never use horse manure again. There's just so much weeds compared to cow or bird poop. Last year I went against my own advive, and I could never get close to keeping up with the weeding, and the garden looked terrible:(

There is a HUGE compost / manure pile at the barn where we board our horse - every season I go and load my truck with bags of it. Works wonders. My biggest complaint is the stuff is HEAVY!!! The density is incredible.

Back