• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

HOT Chili?

First time grower considering my first dish with my own fresh(frozen) choc hab. I want to make chili(beans, meat, etc). My question is when do I add the pepper? At anytime with the other ingredients or does it go in last for like 10-15 mins? Would cooking it longer spread the flavor or ruin it? Since it's frozen has it lost some flavor(or heat) requiring more of the pepper? Is 2 slivers(Wikipedia's recommendation for "black" hab) really enough? I've eaten quarter sized pieces of these peppers raw(granted it tingles) is cooking it going to release more heat? Is it an option to use the pepper halfway through cooking the stew meat, drain the meat and pick out the pepper, and then expect only the meat to be spicy?

Cooking it longer with the chili in will spread the flavor of it but it will most likely loose some of the heat, Ghost peppers hold the heat the best for cooking fyi.
It depends on your heat tolerance if its very low add 2 slivers if its medium add one whole pod, if its high add 2-3 whole pods

how much are you going to make...a quart, half gallon, gallon, more?

how much are you going to make...a quart, half gallon, gallon, more?

Who makes just a quart of chili?

Surely no self respecting Texan.

Myself, I toss in whatever chile I want to use at the beginning and let all that goodness get happy.

If you're like me, you taste and adjust as you cook.

Add more heat anytime throughout the cooking process.

Make enough for leftovers aplenty.

Leftover chili is where the magic happens.

TB is right who makes enough for 1 night? Im making enough for dinner for 6 adults and lunch 2-3 days. Leftovers are always the best.

Who makes just a quart of chili?

Surely no self respecting Texan.

Myself, I toss in whatever chile I want to use at the beginning and let all that goodness get happy.

If you're like me, you taste and adjust as you cook.

Add more heat anytime throughout the cooking process.

Make enough for leftovers aplenty.

Leftover chili is where the magic happens.

all I got to say is amen to that TB...

TB is right who makes enough for 1 night? Im making enough for dinner for 6 adults and lunch 2-3 days. Leftovers are always the best.

everything TB said is right on the money...every good cook tastes and adjusts during cooking....if you are talking a gallon of chili, start with 2 or 3 choc. habs....

Whenever I make a pot, it is about 3 gallons and I pressure can the leftovers in quart jars...pint jars if it is to give away...

I usually add the peppers right after the meat is browned along with all the other ingredients except the beans. You can let it cook with the meat juices until it defrosts, then like everybody else said, adjust as you go.

Sometimes I will saute half the onions (of what the recipe calls for) and add them with I add the beans. It's more for presentation than anything else, though. I'll do the same for some of the peppers I use. Also for presentation purposes...otherwise it all disintegrates into the chili mixture.

Chili is one of my fave foods.

1) No bean ever touched any chili I ever made.....

2) I no longer make spicy chili. It's stupid if you are;

a) Making enough to feed an army (and who doesn't?)
b) Assuming everyone wants their head to melt after the first bite.......

I make GOOD CHILI.......and then offer the uber hot to those that want it.....via powders, sauces, and fresh peppers as TOPPINGS.

Making chili spicy weeds out the men from the mice.

If the chili is good, people will eat it. they might not eat their usual serving but not too many people I know of will cry their little hearts out and not eat any at all. Things work the other way around here in Texas, pardner...if you think it's too spicy...we can hand you a couple of ice cubes or more if needed. Of course you'd be insulting the cook and the rest of the clan but hey....I understand...not too many men I know want to be seen with tears in their eyes. ; )

Seriously though...we always have plenty of beer on hand so if it's too spicy for ya...

If it isn't spicy, it ain't chili! What we cook around here isn't for the little kiddie's hot dogs.

There's a completely different taste between cooking fresh peppers in and adding powders and hot sauce after it's cooked as a condiment. Nope, ain't gonna do it. It's much like cooking everything without salt and then letting whoever wants salt to add it to their own plate...just is never the same.

"There's a completely different taste between cooking fresh peppers in and adding powders and hot sauce after it's cooked as a condiment."
After cooking my first meal I agree. The chili is one of my fave dishes I've cooked. Just a enough heat and the FLAVOR of the pepper was amazing. I've had chili with 2 drops of sauce in the pot. Hands down this is way better.

Back