• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hot Dogs

Yeah, I know. Not too exciting, right? Well, when you do something like my wife did...I find it really exciting! (ok...get your minds out of the gutter)

We decided to have some lunch and hot dogs sounded prety good. I like to slather on some mayo and my favorite hot sauce (my NUCLEAR SCURVY) with a little chopped onion. She made some home made fries and well, since the oil in the fryer was still hot (and I'm out of charcoal) in went the dogs.

I have to say, those were the best dogs EVER! Nice and crispy skin very juicy middle...and with my selection of condiments, sheer perfection. I think the dogs were in the oil for about 5 minutes at 365*F.

Next up: Fried jalapeños

Cool! Yeah, I've seen that done. There's a famous place that does it and they have a strange name for them, cux they cook 'em well done and they look all funny when they're done. Damn, I forget what it is.

A corn-dog without the corn.

The french Canadians call hot-dogs, le hot dog or le chien(dog) chaud(hot)
They also love their poutine which is french fries with cheese curds and gravy. So aweful but soo good.

chiliman said:
I think they are called "rippers" due to the tearing of the skins in the hot oil.
That's the name I was thinking. Looked it up. They call them rippers at Rutt's, in NJ, which is on many top-10 lists. Defcon, have you been there?
"Rutt's hot dogs are known as rippers because their skin tears and crinkles when they are deep-fried. The oil bath turns the pork-and-beef links rugged, dark, and chewy on the outside, while the interior remains soft and juicy. (An "in and outer" comes out of the fat more quickly and remains thoroughly pink and plump.) Most people have their rippers topped with spicy relish made from onions and finely chopped carrots and cabbage. Dine in a wide-open mess hall with high counters at the windows that provide a view of the parking lot. Stand and eat, and for entertainment, enjoy the calls of the countermen as they sing out, "Twins, all the way," meaning a pair of rippers with mustard and relish."

Yes I have, it's actually Rutt's Hut. They use oil to cook just like Jimmy Buff's Italian hot dogs and sausages. I did a brief description of Jimmy Buff's under the restaurant thread.

Here's the menu choice at Rutt's:
In and Out (cooked just enough to eat) Ripper (cooked till the skin rips) Weller (more well done) and Cremator (black).

Sickmont said:
Isn't that how they do 'em in Chicago? In the oil, i mean?

In oil is a New Jersey thing.

In Chiacgo, they are steamed or boiled, served in a poppy seed bun, with yellow mustard, neon green relish, chopped onion, tomatoes, SPORT PEPPERS, a pickle spear and a shake of celery salt.

I'm new to hotpepper dot com, but i really like it.

Welcome Aboard fdaniels!!! Looks like yer in the heart of furniture country! There's a few of us NC boys on here.
Cruise on over to the Welcome thread and introduce yerself to the rest of the Hot Pepper crowd. :cheers:

fdaniels said:
In oil is a New Jersey thing.

In Chiacgo, they are steamed or boiled, served in a poppy seed bun, with yellow mustard, neon green relish, chopped onion, tomatoes, SPORT PEPPERS, a pickle spear and a shake of celery salt.

I'm new to hotpepper dot com, but i really like it.

I'm from Jersey and only a couple of places did it that way. Usually where i came from it was dirty water dogs(Sabrett's) or Coney's(foot longers) on a grill.

Phoenix being the united states melting pot that it is. I can get them new jersey style, chicago style, buffalo NY style, and our very own sonoran style all within a mile. can't say I have a favorite but the chicago place insists on putting their french fries in a bag and closing it. this steams the french fries and makes them limp and it really %@#$ me off

I love Chicago dogs! I've had them in Chicago, I was ordering them all the time! Any city that puts hot peppers on a dog is cool with me.

when i was in college we had too much to drink one night (shock) and my friend had a deep frier, bacon, and hotdogs. we went to to the store, got hot dog rolls, slaw, onions, and mustard. came back, cut on the deep frier, wrapped each dog with 2 peices of bacon, and deep fried them. then put all that other stuff on them once they were done.

im surprised i didnt die on the spot.

i have since stopped eating like that, haha, but it is about the best thing i have ever tasted. nothing like a load of pork ass to make the day go right!

fried dogs

This is my first post by the way, lots of info here!!!

I know there is a place in NJ near prospect park called "jhonny and henges" i have only been there a few times, when i come out there to our other warehouse, They are not bad,

Back