• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hot Dogs

Yeah, I know. Not too exciting, right? Well, when you do something like my wife did...I find it really exciting! (ok...get your minds out of the gutter)

We decided to have some lunch and hot dogs sounded prety good. I like to slather on some mayo and my favorite hot sauce (my NUCLEAR SCURVY) with a little chopped onion. She made some home made fries and well, since the oil in the fryer was still hot (and I'm out of charcoal) in went the dogs.

I have to say, those were the best dogs EVER! Nice and crispy skin very juicy middle...and with my selection of condiments, sheer perfection. I think the dogs were in the oil for about 5 minutes at 365*F.

Next up: Fried jalapeƱos

It's Sunday morning, and it's raining, and The talk of Hot Dogs made the sun shine. not really. I lived and worked in Chicago for 8 years and I consumed my share of their Hot Dogs, and I miss them.
No matter what your favorite is... Ballpark.. Hebrew National.. Nathans.. or what you put on them... It Doesn't Get Any Better than
A Dog - A Beer - and a Baseball Game.... ( Go Cubs )

My favorite is Millers Polish Dogs with spicy mustard, onions, tomatoes, slice of a kosher dill...

I haven't eaten a hot dog in 3 years (mainly because I know what's in them and how damaging to the human body they are). Last Sunday I was so hungry I broke down and ate a hot dog from 7-11...BAM! An hour later I had food poisoning. Because of it, I missed work on Monday and instead of my 10 hours of over time on Sunday, it became 8 hours regular and 2 hours overtime. I lost ALOT of money because of that one slip up. Hot Dogs are evil.

Hang on... surely their must be such a thing as a decently made hotdog not composed of pidgeon legs, racoon ass, cow lips and old boots?

The keilbasa at Top Dog around Berkley and SF spring to mind ;)

Cinema hotdogs: Evil
7 - 11 hotdogs: Evil

Jon, I'm guessing you've had a hand, at some point, in making hot dogs. Hang on, better rephrase that out of respect to all the hot dog workers who have literally put a hand into hot dogs, mainly through industrial accidents.

So: spill the beans. I have a mate who worked at a meat pie factory. He refused to touch them.

Shooty* said:
Hang on... surely their must be such a thing as a decently made hotdog not composed of pidgeon legs, racoon ass, cow lips and old boots?

The keilbasa at Top Dog around Berkley and SF spring to mind ;)

Cinema hotdogs: Evil
7 - 11 hotdogs: Evil

Jon, I'm guessing you've had a hand, at some point, in making hot dogs. Hang on, better rephrase that out of respect to all the hot dog workers who have literally put a hand into hot dogs, mainly through industrial accidents.

So: spill the beans. I have a mate who worked at a meat pie factory. He refused to touch them.
LOL, Shooty, your posts are becoming funnier and funnier as time goes on. (loved the "literally put a hand into" part. ;) )

I've never worked in a meat processing plant but HAVE been to one. I read waaaayyyy to much stuff and over time have come to learn what goes into hot dogs (for example, one of the things that "Beef byproducts" stands for is supermarket meat that is past it's sell date. Not so bad you say right? Well, they don't unpackage it. They mix, melt, and cook it down, stryofoam, cellophane, and all) and other meats products (such as dyes to make the meat more red but also cause cancer. And of the virus' that they spray on lunch meat to supposidly kill the bad bacteria but they have yet to do an indepth study on what it does to your bactiria in the stomach and intestines...thanks alot FDA, now I don't eat lunch meat either). I've also read the recent study that concludes eating hot dogs can lead to DNA mutation.

So in the end, that's why I don't eat hot dogs.

DevilDuck said:
Ahhh...what's a little DNA mutation? Just pour some good hot sauce on it. It should mask the effects for awhile.
: waits for Mr. Superfund (defcon) to also say something whitty about DNA mutation : ;)

Cheers for the compliment, chief.

You'd like Fast Food Nation. Good book. Bonkers guy, but good book.

Mutations? Cool! Can I pick the DNA that gets changed? Like, if you avoid the packs of cigarettes that are labelled "smoking kills", and go for the "smoking whilst pregnant, yada yada yada" (then you'd fine if you're a bloke coz you don't get pregnant! Just stay clear of those death ones), is there a particular hot dog I can eat to go all Weapon X or Gambit? Rather than all Beast or Marrow. I'd hate that.

marcosauces said:
That's why i got 8 fingers in one hand...;)

Mutations are not fun. I speak from experiance on it. 1 sugury later and 12 years of "interfieance" from the other mutation later......still not fun.... Now grantit, not from hot dog...but from my end, mutation=not fun.

Back