• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hot honey

So my friend and I wanted to cook with peppers today after trying some smoked bhut powder I bought. So we decided to make some hot honey.
We bought some orange habs and honey

Supplies/ingredients
double boiler
honey
habs
strainer
funnel
cooking thermometer

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg
We weighed out a good amount of habs for the honey we were making. We went with 156g of habs for 36oz of honey (1020g)

IMAG0039.jpg

Fill your double boiler

IMAG0040.jpg

Get your honey ready

IMAG0041.jpg

Pour it in

IMAG0043.jpg

Chop up your habs and heat the water (don't over-fill your double boiler)

IMAG0044.jpg

Bring the mixture up to about 180F for 10 min to let the honey absorb the heat a bit. Stir frequently to get that heat around!

IMAG0045.jpg

Strain the honey after letting it cool in the boiler a bit as to not melt the container

IMAG0046.jpg

Let the honey cool a little bit more in water colder than the honey but not too cold as to crystallize the honey

Let it sit until its ready to be eaten!

It tastes really good.
If you want it hotter use more peppers, we went with a 1 to 6 ratio of peppers to honey. The heat slowly creeps up and dissipates quickly. The heat lasted about 1 min when we tried it just now. Its in my fridge to cool and its taking quite a while. When the flavors meld more it should have a better flavor. The heat stays more towards the back of your tongue and throat when it starts to fade.

Sounds good. I often eat a spoonful of honey covered with superhot powder for a quick sweet heat fix. Might have to try it your way.

I updated the end of the first post with flavors. It is quite good. If you made it with superhots that would satisfy your desire for hot and sweet while you can have it on toast for breakfast! :)

Also if you don't have a double boiler you can put a bowl on top of a pot of boiling water.

The honey is pretty runny from the moisture in the peppers. If you want it thicker you could add pectin to it to thicken it a wee bit.

My honey supplier and I have been playing with this lately. I've tried some different Baccatums and have found some nice flavor combos. If you use reconstituted powders, you can get over the runny honey issue...

My honey supplier and I have been playing with this lately. I've tried some different Baccatums and have found some nice flavor combos. If you use reconstituted powders, you can get over the runny honey issue...
I would like to try this with aji lemon peppers. Next time I'd use some sort of powdered thickener for sure. Was a hit at dinner last night. We had some grilled chicken and everyone liked it when they tried it. :)

Ironically, Aji Lemon Drops were what I used for the first test batch. I used a couple other Baccatums but it seemed that those worked best with the flavor of the honey. I also did a batch of Trinidad Scorpion honey but I had too taste testers cursing at me :rofl:

GREAT IDEA! My first thought was....TEA!

For the water issue, maybe try using dried pods or half pods. Don't think you'd be able to strain the powder out. I like the idea of clear honey, no powder specks in it.

Redtail, are you running out of taste testers willing to try your products like I am? :lol: it's a curse of the business, I'm afraid~

It would be wonderful in tea! Dried pods would probably work quite well for heat without extra liquids too.

Redtail, are you running out of taste testers willing to try your products like I am? :lol: it's a curse of the business, I'm afraid~

I do have a couple small honey bears left out of first test batch. Let me see if I can send one to you or if that would be a no-no. Will advise.

I do have a couple small honey bears left out of first test batch. Let me see if I can send one to you or if that would be a no-no. Will advise.

:lol:

I was just referring to your statement that a couple testers said swear words. I'm thinking of my brother-in-law, whom I can still get to try sauces by saying...."it's not that hot...TRUST ME!" :halo:

I actually just bought some Hot Honey last weekend from this dude in Brooklyn. His company is called Mikes Hot Honey. It was amazing. I never would have thought to do it myself. Great idea.

Back