• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hot, not supper hot, advice for 2017

BlackFatalii said:
I grew Cheiro Roxa last year. I agree that it is a really cool and unique looking pepper, but that 60K SHU estimate seems extremely low to me. Well, when the pods were still dark purple (unripe) they were usually fairly mild. But once they lightened to a more pinkish tone, those little guys were full habanero status. 

Thanks for the input, makes me even more excited to be growing them next year.

Regarding the topic at hand, though, that would place them in the very top heat bracket of what AJ is looking for and make them rivals for the MoA Scotch Bonnet's spot. Not sure if that's a good thing. It does, however, explain the "extremely hot" label and the discrepency in heat estimate can probably be accounted for by the fact that the only place giving numbers also claimed the chilli was a "slightly pinkish purple colour" (just beginning to ripen).

I'll throw in a vote for Aji Cristal or Cap 267, two very similar peppers.  My 267s have typical Baccatum heat, and a lovely chili flavor that works well with most foods.

The shape isn't anything special, but the colors are somewhat unique among the peppers I've grown; as the pods ripen they transition from a pretty cream-orange to a slightly orange red.  

Plants are medium sized and quite prolific.

Shoot me a few stamps, paypal a buck, whatever; I'll send seeds & powder.

CAP267.JPG

Geonerd said:
I'll throw in a vote for Aji Cristal or Cap 267, two very similar peppers.  My 267s have typical Baccatum heat, and a lovely chili flavor that works well with most foods.

The shape isn't anything special, but the colors are somewhat unique among the peppers I've grown; as the pods ripen, they transition from a pretty cream-orange to a slightly orange red.  

Plants are medium sized and quite prolific.

Shoot me a few stamps, paypal a buck, whatever; I'll send seeds & powder.

CAP267.JPG

CAP267 are tasty indeed. I grew a plant (thank you,Geonerd)this year and it was very productive-and thanks to no frost yet it still is!

cone9 said:
CAP267 are tasty indeed. I grew a plant (thank you,Geonerd)this year and it was very productive-and thanks to no frost yet it still is!

Coheed196 shared them w. me a while back.  Give him a shout when/if he surfaces again.  :)

I'd suggest Bishop's Crown, Purple UFO, and Bahamian Goat.  Great shapes, colors and tastes.

Never tasted this one, but check out google images for the Peter Pepper - hilarious!

If you want to get something that people will look at the Peter Pepper's are good, well if you can get them growing right... would be good for a laugh.
peterpeppers.jpg

Back