• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Hot Pepper Challenges are like chug o lugs.

I finally figured out a way to express this opinion and want to share.  I love bier.  Not cheap ass stuff in cans that you buy in 30 packs.  Nothing against it, but I like fine German bier.  Love exploring new flavors from micro breweries.  I have nothing against mug night at your local campus pub, just not my thing. 

Peppers, same thing.  I love the heat and the underline flavors of the various hots and super hots are amazing.  But chugging the latest hot sauce or chomping a dish of super hots, its just not my thing.

Do others feel the same?  Nothing against the hot pepper challenges, just not my thing.  I prefer to enjoy my food and my bier.

I totally get you. For awhile, the MeTube videos of people with bleeding eyes and chugging 3 gallons of milk then puking on their mom's basement floor were rampant. Thank the almighty they have tapered off. I for one don't dig on fresh peppers except Peños. Even them, I don't eat like apples. I like my chiles dried. Ground into powders so I can add and regulate my heat/flavor proportionately. Your post makes perfect sense to me ajdrew. I get jdew. lol

I agree. The pepper challenges on YouTube feature all kinds of messiness and capitalize on the grossout factor.

Perhaps the most offensive ones -- to me, anyway -- are those that purport themselves to be some kind of review. I've greatly enjoyed learning something about a pepper from the legitimate reviewers on THP -- Nigel, GeorgeJ, Bill Moore and (more recently) Tardis immediately come to mind.
When i was new to the topic of hot peppers, it took a while to distinguish between foolish stunts and legitimate reviews... not a long while, admittedly.

I enjoy hot peppers -- for both medicinal and culinary reasons. I don't need to prove something by eating a superhot myself, but when a reviewer describes the flavors of them, i consider putting one in a pot of soup... and tasting the soup.

'Hot pepper challenges'... i can do without 'em. A truer challenge is to taste any pepper -- even a non-hot -- and accurately convey to the viewer what it tastes like.

I think there is a handful that have good entertainment value. But most are just hyper machismo craving kids. Let us not confuse "reviews" with machismo and attention craving "challenges". Two totally different things in my opinion. Personally I wouldn't even mention names like Nigel or Bill when discussing "challenges". I consider what they do a highly informative, educational service for our community.

BTW I believe its been more than a year and still not one THP member has stepped to the plate to do some horkin', dammit.

"I am the greatest!!!! I Hork like a butterfly and sneez like a flea!!! I'm so bad, I make medicine sick!!! I may be fat like a gorilla, but still nobody has challenged the horking THRILLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hogleg said:
I think there is a handful that have good entertainment value. But most are just hyper machismo craving kids. Let us not confuse "reviews" with machismo and attention craving "challenges". Two totally different things in my opinion. Personally I wouldn't even mention names like Nigel or Bill when discussing "challenges". I consider what they do a highly informative, educational service for our community.

BTW I believe its been more than a year and still not one THP member has stepped to the plate to do some horkin', dammit.

"I am the greatest!!!! I Hork like a butterfly and sneez like a flea!!! I'm so bad, I make medicine sick!!! I may be fat like a gorilla, but still nobody has challenged the horking THRILLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rofl:

:cheers: ya maniac :D

G.I.P.

I admit some of the reviewers are funny, but wonder if maybe the pod reviewers wont wind up migrating to reviewing recipes made with fresh pods rather than reviewing the whole pod itself.  I find that there under the heat, there is so much flavor that some strains are good for one recipe and others not so much.

Best example, some of the 7 Pots have that very distinct 7 pot flavor.  I can not stand that flavor in salsa or things with a lot of tomato or onion.  It is great with beans.  But again, only some of the 7 Pots have that.  Kind of hard to describe, not pleasant at first for me.

ajdrew said:
I finally figured out a way to express this opinion and want to share.  I love bier.  Not cheap ass stuff in cans that you buy in 30 packs.  Nothing against it, but I like fine German bier.  Love exploring new flavors from micro breweries.  I have nothing against mug night at your local campus pub, just not my thing. 

Peppers, same thing.  I love the heat and the underline flavors of the various hots and super hots are amazing.  But chugging the latest hot sauce or chomping a dish of super hots, its just not my thing.

Do others feel the same?  Nothing against the hot pepper challenges, just not my thing.  I prefer to enjoy my food and my bier.
Jip
it is like sipping a fine beer or wine vs a downdown contest.
The only comparison is that there is alcohol involved.

I do think there is educational value..... what NOT to try!

hogleg said:
Personally I wouldn't even mention names like Nigel or Bill when discussing "challenges". I consider what they do a highly informative, educational service for our community.

Point taken. I agree. My bad-!!

ajdrew said:
  I find that there under the heat, there is so much flavor that some strains are good for one recipe and others not so much.
Best example, some of the 7 Pots have that very distinct 7 pot flavor.  I can not stand that flavor in salsa or things with a lot of tomato or onion.  It is great with beans.  But again, only some of the 7 Pots have that.  Kind of hard to describe, not pleasant at first for me.
For example, although i've never tried a fresh Trinidad Scorpion, i have enjoyed dried ones. They lack the fairly intense flavor described in reviews of the fresh ones, but contain plent of heat.
For delicately flavored foods -- fish, shellfish, and anything with basil in it, this is a perfect source of heat: it doesn't mask the desired flavors, or interact poorly with them.

On the other hand, a 7-pot Jonah has a taste that goes just great with bean dishes, especially in the company of garlic, cumin, and oregano.

Mikeg, on Jonah yep it definitely has that 7 pot flavor.  I dont much like it with tomato and onion salsas.  Not sure why, but to me when that 7 pot flavor mixes with tomato and onion there is a slight hint of something almost like dish soap.  But 7 pot flavor with beans, no dish soap flavor.  Thinking there is some chemistry there that changes the flavor when mixed.  Kind of like mixing Captain Morgan with Mountain Dew seems to make Cream Soda. 

If I had the inclination, I would do videos reviewing recipes.  But till I get that inclination, going to encourage others to do it.  There is just so much more than raw pods to review, the things you can do with them, the flavors you can get out of them can be amazing.

I don't judge people, so let people do what makes them happy. If a dude wants a YT channel of chugging hot sauce why does that affect you?

Back