• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hot pepper infused sea salt..

Best I had was smoked ghost pepper sea salt, no peppers were in it, just brown sea salt crystals that look like turbinado sugar. Not sure how they do it. But damn good smoked.

I figure if you're gonna add salt and heat you can do it separately. Like, lemon pepper. What is that? But the smoking adds an awesome smoky flavor you can add to anything.

Make some eggs and sprinkle with Scovie Powder! THP.

Oh I just mean the salt + pepper mix. You can't control heat vs. salt, so I'd rather use powders (including yours) and add my own salt. :)

But the smoked added such a cool dimension I'd recommend it.

I think you need more than two components for a worthy mix. Like salt and pepper, we like them separate, but they're in a good rub. Just my opinion.

I was a gourmet imported food store a week or so ago, and they had a bunch of special salts. One of which was Ghost Pepper Sea Salt. They wanted $15 for two ounces. I say they are nuts.

I was a gourmet imported food store a week or so ago, and they had a bunch of special salts. One of which was Ghost Pepper Sea Salt. They wanted $15 for two ounces. I say they are nuts.
I am sure they sell it at $15 2 ounces with no problems. I'll be doing some smoked varieties this year as a sample. I am with THP, I like to control the salt and heat and usually find I get way too much salt and not enough heat in most infused salts.

This is a perfect example of too much salt and not enough heat. I made some roasted potato cubes and wanted to make them spicy. After all when you read the directions, they tell you that when it is spicy enough, it is salty enough. Should be perfect, right???I used so much of this stuff that no one could eat them without 48 ounces of water to wash down all the salt. It wasn't even very spicy either.

Lighter doses of this seasoning salt mixed with some hotter powder has better results.

More-Spice-7oz-LG.jpg

This is a perfect example of too much salt and not enough heat. I made some roasted potato cubes and wanted to make them spicy. After all when you read the directions, they tell you that when it is spicy enough, it is salty enough. Should be perfect, right???I used so much of this stuff that no one could eat them without 48 ounces of water to wash down all the salt. It wasn't even very spicy either.

Lighter doses of this seasoning salt mixed with some hotter powder has better results.

More-Spice-7oz-LG.jpg

I agree. When it's salty enough, it's not hot enough, and when it's hot enough, it's too salty! I don't use Tony's as a salt substitute anymore. I started using Slap Ya Mama instead. That stuff is much hotter and much less salty than Tony's

I'm at work right now, so the web filter won't let me upload a pic to flickr.... check this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Slap-Ya-Mama-Cajun-Seasoning/dp/B000KS3L4E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363803178&sr=8-3&keywords=slap+ya+mama

Individual pepper powders rule. No need to add salt too, to things like pizza, etc. I don't use the salt shaker on my food, I cook it properly seasoned, so I would really have no use for a pepper salt. So I'd say stock up on some good powders, and when you need salt, add salt.

But if this is what you are after, I hope you found some good answers here.

Individual pepper powders rule. No need to add salt too, to things like pizza, etc. I don't use the salt shaker on my food, I cook it properly seasoned, so I would really have no use for a pepper salt. So I'd say stock up on some good powders, and when you need salt, add salt.

Ditto. Cook with. No need to add after the fact. I could see where infused salt would be great!

Speaking of powders, did you ever get mine. ;)

As I agree 100% with seasoning during cooking, and not to stir up controversy yet again, but there is such a thing as finishing salt. I could see myself using this on fries, vegetables, pizza etc.

Nothing wrong with finishing salt. I may try to cold smoke some kosher salt today. I just usually cook with enough that there's a danger of making the plated dish too salty by adding a finisher. Easily fixable by cooking with less

My momma sent me some ghost pepper salt from a spice store in St. Pete Florida. They add some chocolate extract in there as well. Works great as a finishing salt on some fresh sliced tomato.

not to stir up controversy yet again,

April Fools?

but there is such a thing as finishing salt. I could see myself using this on fries, vegetables, pizza etc.

I don't salt my pizza. Or veg, after plating. No salt shakers, no finishing salts. And to salt fries you need the fine popcorn salt, sea salt has no place on fries.

I see people shake salt on pizza slices here, I think it's crazy.

Here's the salt for fries. You don't even see it on the fries and it can't fall off, like table, or coarse sea salt. Think McDonald's.

And less salt intake because it's so fine.

http://www.diamondcr...d-Nut-Salt.aspx

I am not sure if I have ever posted on here but this thread sparked my interest.  I am somewhat of a gourmet cook and use finishing salts on many things.  I have spent WAY too much money on them over the years.  I decided to make my own this year and feel as if I have struck gold!

I had a few extra ghost peppers so I decided to slice them very thin and tossed them in some kosher salt in a bowl.  Salt is a preservative so I figured they peppers would "cure" in the salt and at the same time, the salt would draw the flavor out of the peppers and make a nice hot salt.  I tend to eat everything with heat.  I stirred the salt every day for a couple of weeks and the salt is nice and hot, the peppers dry and I can use this salt on anything.  If I want it more fine, I can throw it in the coffee grinder that I only use for savory things.  I love the flavor!

I have also made a dill lemon salt, a tempranillo salt, an orange chili salt and a lime chili salt.  They are all fabulous and cost me cents on the dollar to make.  I rarely use regular salt any more now that I am making my own finishing salts.  Tempranillo goes on goat cheese and then on to crackers.  The lemon dill goes on fish, the orange chili goes on just about anything.  Beats the heck out of paying $10 for a little jar at a specialty store!  I even bought my own little jars so I can give it away as Christmas gits to my friends who love to cook.  Makes great gifts for a party host, too.

Back