• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hot Pepper Oil

:welcome: to THP-

Not sure what exactly you're looking to achieve but a couple ideas are-
soak fresh pods in as small amount of alcohol as will just cover them for a few days, remove the pulp and let the alcohol evaporate.  There should be some capsaicin oil left in the jar/pan. 
use a soxhlet (sp?) -there's a thread on here somewhere about that, use the search function
make chile infused oil by gently warming whatever oil and dried pods. Refrigerate when done. 

Why not just chop the chilis up finely and add them to whatever oil you want to use? The capsaicin and associated compounds will partition into the oil over time. Give the bottle a good shake every few days, leave it a month or two and filter the oil. That`s how it`s done in Chinese cooking. 

Ethanol is a very good solvent, but I`d bet that hexane would be great for this. Mash the chillis and add hexane. Leave for a few hours on a mixer and then do a phase split with water. Remember that hexane is extremely volatile, so you won`t be able to cap the jar/vessel tightly, or it might expode. The oils will be in the hexane later, which you can evaporate quickly and easily. Please bear in mind that ALL organic solvents are incredibly flammable, including ethanol, and not straightforward to work with safely. I would not try to use hexane AT ALL unless I had access to a proper lab with fume hoods and other equipment designed to stop potential explosions. 

Oh, and be really really careful with a Soxhlet extraction system. Again, if you don`t have access to a lab and safetly conditions, don`t bother with it.

-I used a flask of everclear on some dried peppers.
-Let them sit overnight
-Decant into a glass jar
-Leave the jar open and under a desk lamp until reduced
-transfer to a much smaller glass container
-use some leftover everclear to rinse the oil from the sides and place the rinsate in the small jar as well.
-back under the desk lamp

-I did this a year ago and still haven't used up the 1/2 teaspoon of oil.....waaay too hot.
-Like Nigel said, there are many other solvents you could use. However, keep in mind the source of said solvent. They are generally not that pure and contain many contaminants.

Excellent point about the purity of solvents. Many have things added so that they can`t be used for human consumption. Everclear is a good idea, as it`s very high in ethanol and made for human consumption, so no impurities like methanol, which makes you blind and crazy. Of course, it may be difficult to get Everclear, as it`s illegal in many states, or requires a permit.

Nigel said:
Of course, it may be difficult to get Everclear, as it`s illegal in many states, or requires a permit.
Didn't think about that...I live in Texas where I can get it by the gallon. :D
I like everclear because, like you said, it's made for human consumption and I don't have to evaporate a whole lot of water like in vodka. Of course, if you work in a lab, get some HPLC grade ethyl acetate. Good solvent and evaporates FAST.

Nigel said:
Excellent point about the purity of solvents. Many have things added so that they can`t be used for human consumption. Everclear is a good idea, as it`s very high in ethanol and made for human consumption, so no impurities like methanol, which makes you blind and crazy. Of course, it may be difficult to get Everclear, as it`s illegal in many states, or requires a permit.

AustinPepper said:
I like everclear because, like you said, it's made for human consumption and I don't have to evaporate a whole lot of water like in vodka. Of course, if you work in a lab, get some HPLC grade ethyl acetate. Good solvent and evaporates FAST.

As a Texan it never crossed my mind that you wouldn't be able to buy everclear in some states. I have a gallon at home I use mostly for cleaning glass pieces. I learned my lesson long ago about actually consuming the stuff lol.

Or you could go a step higher and get Diesel (193 proof).

:drunk:                                                                          
Just Kidding.

Are you trying to extract pue capsaicin or just get the oil to cook with like a flavoring?

Why not just chop the chilis up finely and add them to whatever oil you want to use? The capsaicin and associated compounds will partition into the oil over time. Give the bottle a good shake every few days, leave it a month or two and filter the oil. That`s how it`s done in Chinese cooking.

Ethanol is a very good solvent, but I`d bet that hexane would be great for this. Mash the chillis and add hexane. Leave for a few hours on a mixer and then do a phase split with water. Remember that hexane is extremely volatile, so you won`t be able to cap the jar/vessel tightly, or it might expode. The oils will be in the hexane later, which you can evaporate quickly and easily. Please bear in mind that ALL organic solvents are incredibly flammable, including ethanol, and not straightforward to work with safely. I would not try to use hexane AT ALL unless I had access to a proper lab with fume hoods and other equipment designed to stop potential explosions.

Oh, and be really really careful with a Soxhlet extraction system. Again, if you don`t have access to a lab and safetly conditions, don`t bother with it.

I spoke with a co worker in a Food Innovation program. I am an apprentice in a College restaurant kitchen. I have access to pro kitchens and all lab equipment. Hopefully my buddy will be able to show me some extraction methods. I wouldn't try using highly flammable stuff at home.

I also thought of buying a still and making my own solvent but for now the money isn't worth it. I'll keep you his posted on the results

Yes. I have done lots of research on organic food grade solvents. There aren't many available for consumer purchase. It seems ethanol is the only way to really go.

Everclear is not available in Ontario, Canada. Which isn't the best. I don't think buying liquor is the most cost effective way to go anyway.

Jeff H said:
These people have a solution for you. No need to buy any liqueur and you don't have to pay attention to those pesky laws either. http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/moonshiners
At this point I'm not interested in making my own.
PepperDaddler said:
All I can find is Vodka. Doesnt sound much better to me.
I dehydrated Thai chili's and got 111g put of them. I split it in half and used Tequila for half and Vodka for the other half. We'll see what kind of extract I get in a week. 

I have 2 lbs of Habanero and 2 lbs of jalapeño coming in today. Going to test those out too.

I'm willing to wait :D

Cheers, Al

Apparently 52 hrs isn't long enough for this batch. Running the dehydrator a second time.

I extracted the oil from the Thai chili's. lots of heat (numbed my mouth) with a tiny drop. Flavour is still there too.

Can't wait to see what kind of hear comes out of the jalapeños and habaneros.

Back