• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Hot pepper seedling leaves turning purple

Hi everyone. I have noticed that on several of my hot pepper seedlings, the leaves are turning purple in color. I have browsed the forums here and from what I've read, this appears to be a somewhat normal response to placing seedlings underneath fluorescent lights. My plants are underneath two light fixtures, each containing two T12 4-foot long 40-Watt Agrosun full-spectrum fluorescent grow lights. I have the lights approximately 3 to 4 inches above the tops of the plants (from what I've read, 2 to 4 inches is the preferred distance). From the posts I've read, this usually happens to plants that are underneath the more powerful T5 lights. Has anyone else had their pepper leaves turn purple underneath T12 fluorescent lights? Of the 7 varieties of peppers I am growing this year (Cayenne, Datil, Chocolate Habanero, Golden Habanero, Bhut Jolokia, Butch T Trinidad Scorpion, and Anaheim), only the Golden Habanero, Bhut Jolokia, and Butch T Trinidad Scorpion plants seem to be affected thus far. Has anyone experimented with T12 fluorescent lights and come up with a perfect distance to place the lights above the plants that would allow them to retain their green color, while at the same time provide sufficient light intensity for normal growth?

Sounds like sunburn. The purple is their "tan" to protect themselves. Move the lights up a lil bit.

You should consider getting at least T8 for some growth or T5 to provide more optimal lighting conditions. Depends on if you plan to grow them outside or inside.

Sounds like sunburn. The purple is their "tan" to protect themselves. Move the lights up a lil bit.

You should consider getting at least T8 for some growth or T5 to provide more optimal lighting conditions. Depends on if you plan to grow them outside or inside.

+1

I’m using the T5s and have never experienced any discoloration of the leaves. It may be they’re getting burned from your lights.

This link as been posted here before, talks about didfferent defiences in plants also. I never seen a plant turn purple from the lights being to close.
But than agian only plants i have seen turn purple, or my purple varities. So i have no comment on this part. But the link in case there are any other plant
promblems you may have.

http://5e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=289

One of the most asked questions ever on chile forums. Its not a sunburn at all its just anthocyanin pigment giving the plant a sort of sun-tan protecting it from strrong UV lights. This happens often under floro lights and is not a problem, although backing the lights off a bit should stop the purpling

Back