• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hot Sauce Bubbles

Hello,

So, I've started making my own hot sauce over the last couple of months, and a batch that I made tonight produced a lot of bubbles (see attached photo).

I noticed after I was blending, then when I poured the sauce into a pot to finish cooking, they weren't going away.

After straining and bottling, the bubbles were still there.

Does anyone know what causes so many bubbles and how to avoid them?

Does it compromise the sauce at all once bottled?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_4719.JPG
    IMG_4719.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 99
The Hot Pepper said:
Am I doing it right?

attachicon.gif
trolling_motor.jpg
lol ok ok.
but seriously, Smoking Fire's comment "I have seen this in sauces that were boat motored too long, wherein the immersion blender pulls air into the sauce.  They will settle but will leave a bit of residue up the neck of the bottle"  got me wondering how long does one blend their mash to avoid this?  

Will your typical blender/food processor introduce too much air causing this no matter what?  

My last batch I blended for twice for 3 mins each time after straining and before boiling it in the bottle for 10 minutes.  Seems ok with some settling and no residue.  

I suppose every model blender is going to have a different effect in this regard, but wondering if there was some visual clue to look for or a rule of thumb to follow?
TIA

In my experience the air is when veg is fresh and not cooked because there is air in the cell wall space... so you take 5 tomatoes put them in the blender, you get foam. Cook them down first you do not. You can also blend first and cook the foam out. I don't think it has as much to do with immersion or regular blender unless you have an aerating blade.

Back