• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

food-safety Hot Sauce That is NOT Thermally Processed?

Hello!

I was hoping to package and sell a cilantro based hot sauce, but was wondering if it's even possible to get FDA, USDA, etc. approvals if the processing steps do not include thermally processing the sauce to preserve the green vibrant color. I tested my sauce and the pH comes out to 4.0-4.1.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Welcome to THP!

4.0 is a little high to look for a Process Authority to sign off on a not heat packed sauce, but i cant say for certain. Are there other vibrant green sauces in markets in your area? Maybe check out if they are in glass woozies (which would indicate hot fill) and what are their ingredients.

Have you left a bottle of your green sauce on the counter for 6 months to see what happens? Simulating sitting on a store shelf or in a warehouse.

I think there is some ingredient that works to preserve color, cant remember off the top of my head... Other ingredients add more green, like spinach powder.

The place to start is with who will be your licensing inspector. Whether you are processing yourself or using a copacker, different regs. Ultimately, your recipe will need to be approved by the PA.

There are a couple threads on here about Making Hot Sauce and starting a food biz.

Hope this helps a little.
Goid luck and keep us posted what you find out.

Have Fun!
Salsalady

Last edited:
Other tricks to lower the pH without making it too vinegary are using sweet citrus juices like pineapple or combinations of vinegar and fruit juice. Apple, pineapple, orange, rice wine vinegar, white balsamic...

Back