• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hot wing challenge

So, I have recently applied to be a part of a hotwing challenge here locally and I really wanted to see what I could handle before I showed up and looked like an amateur. I know, I know. What's the point? For me, it's a love of the adrenaline rush and proving to myself that I can overcome the heat. I just love it. With that said, I just cooked up some nice and crispy chicken wings in my deep fryer and then boiled them for 2 minutes in one bottle of Louisiana Gem hotwing sauce with 35 drops of Pure Evil heat additive. The first wing was not hot enough so I added 2 tablespoons of bhut flakes. I then decided to step it up and added 2 tablespoons of Brainstrain flakes. Needless to say I lit myself on fire and loved every second of it.

Now for my question. I have made this sauce as hot as I can get it, but the challenge uses an extract. Does anyone have any experience eating extract? If so, how much hotter should I expect it to be?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any input.

It's hard to say what the specific sauce will be like... i'd say you did a great test though. Most of these places are hot, but to a chili head, very doable. One suggestion, wear gloves and rip the meat off the bones. Then you don't get it all over your face!!

If I'm not mistaken, pure extract is 16 million SHU...If that's what they'll be using, I'm not sure if any dried pepper flakes can prepare you for that. Like gnarley said, DON'T get it on your face!!

That's funny that you both say that. I intentionally got it all over my face to prepare, but like you said in the challenge my goal was to suck the sauce off the wing and then eat the wing so that the heat stays where it belongs... In my mouth. I do like the idea of ripping the meat off the bones though. Might change my tactics.

I would probably eat some hot stuff a few minutes before the challenge, If your body is prepped for it how bad could it be. LOL

It's hard to say what the specific sauce will be like... i'd say you did a great test though. Most of these places are hot, but to a chili head, very doable. One suggestion, wear gloves and rip the meat off the bones. Then you don't get it all over your face!!

Twisted MetaL!!!!!!

Gnarly has a good suggestion to wear gloves and follow Adam Richmond's tactics for taking the meat off the bone with your hands then eating everything.

Just wondering, how many ounces of sauce was the "bottle of wing sauce" you used for your trial run? How much of the sauce did you eat and how much was left in the bowl? When we did a Wing Dome challenge in Seattle, the sauce was really thick, and rules said all the sauce had to be eaten, even licked off the plate.

Pepper flakes usually need to cook into a sauce to fully release their heat. So even though you had a ton of flakes added to the sauce, you may not have actually been getting their full effect.

From what I understand, 16 Mil is not realistically attainable outside of a lab. I really need to get an SHU done for Pure Evil pronto-

Don't get too caught up about the numbers, truth is, you will never know the SHU rating. Realistically though, if you think about it, Blairs Ultra Death claims to be 1 million, and honestly the challenges I have done, are not as hot as a wing covered in that.

True, gnarley...Quaker Steak & Lube claims their Triple Atomics are 500,000 SHU's but I don't believe that for a minute. A store bought Orange Hab feels much hotter to me.

Gnarly has a good suggestion to wear gloves and follow Adam Richmond's tactics for taking the meat off the bone with your hands then eating everything.

Just wondering, how many ounces of sauce was the "bottle of wing sauce" you used for your trial run? How much of the sauce did you eat and how much was left in the bowl? When we did a Wing Dome challenge in Seattle, the sauce was really thick, and rules said all the sauce had to be eaten, even licked off the plate.

Pepper flakes usually need to cook into a sauce to fully release their heat. So even though you had a ton of flakes added to the sauce, you may not have actually been getting their full effect.

From what I understand, 16 Mil is not realistically attainable outside of a lab. I really need to get an SHU done for Pure Evil pronto-

The bottle was a 17 oz bottle and I still have some sauce left that I put into a container to re-use. I also simmered the flakes into the sauce for about 16-17 minutes while I deep fried the last of the wings before I put them back into the sauce. Honestly, I would have added more Pure Evil, but I was scared after reading about the first batch when someone ended up using a ton of it and didn't feel too much burn, but then the stomach pain kicked in. Overall, I would rate what I did as a 7/10 on the heat scale. Still nothing close to my first Douglah.

The SHU is not the important part, its be able to eat 12 or however many wings that are still pretty damn hot after a few.

I ate 8 wings tonight, but they were really big wings, so I would compare them to 15-20 restaurant wings.

there's not a t-shirt with enough awesome to eat any of that nasty-ass extract BS.
Even if it glows in the dark, or changes colors when you sweat.

2¢.

edit: your wings sound Awesome!

You need to do some speedwork...unless the challenge is just plain eat as man as you can no time limit. You won't be fast enough pulling the meat off the bone. I watched a guy down 10 wings in just over 30 seconds to earn a tshirt and get his pic on the wall at Buffalo Wild Wings...Nobody would ever feed you pure extract due to liability issues. Even if you sign a waiver. Your prep sauce sounds about hot enough for the heat part. I would practice downing milder wings to get my speed up...and maybe a couple hot ones afterwards just to feel the burn.

True, gnarley...Quaker Steak & Lube claims their Triple Atomics are 500,000 SHU's but I don't believe that for a minute. A store bought Orange Hab feels much hotter to me.

I did 12 of these wings and actually thought their base atomic were hotter. At the minimum use a fork to rip the wings down. I've found the killer in hot wings with me is the heat on my face not in my mouth!

there's not a t-shirt with enough awesome to eat any of that nasty-ass extract BS.
Even if it glows in the dark, or changes colors when you sweat.

2¢.

edit: your wings sound Awesome!

Thanks man. My wings were awesome. Great flavor and tons of heat. It did make my wife have to open up all the windows in the living room to stop coughing though.

You need to do some speedwork...unless the challenge is just plain eat as man as you can no time limit. You won't be fast enough pulling the meat off the bone. I watched a guy down 10 wings in just over 30 seconds to earn a tshirt and get his pic on the wall at Buffalo Wild Wings...Nobody would ever feed you pure extract due to liability issues. Even if you sign a waiver. Your prep sauce sounds about hot enough for the heat part. I would practice downing milder wings to get my speed up...and maybe a couple hot ones afterwards just to feel the burn.

It's not a speed challenge. Just who can eat the wings with the most drops of extract in the sauce. Starts with one drop and has made it up as high as the twenties. I'm thinking I can take the heat now after all the comments, but 20 some odd wings? That's another question. I'm not much of a bulk eater.

I might just chew on a few habs before I walk in just to get accustomed to the heat.

Back