• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense How are your bonnets doing?

My Scotch Bonnets are ripening & taste sooo good.

1692382188539.png

1692382514756.png

Last edited:
What kind of Scotch Bonnets are your yellow peppers? Could you guys identify my red SB?
I believe they are marble scotch bonnets. The pepper tree is at most 3.5 inch tall with branches
growing 2.5 feet wide horizontally.

Attachments

• Subject.png
    Subject.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Sujet.png
    Sujet.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
You have some nice bonnet shaped pods.

I am growing MOA, TFM, Safi Red, frontera, and Lemon Starrburst.

MOA pods are mostly not bonnet shaped so far. Flavor is excellent, classic Jamaican scotch bonnet flavor.

TFM pods are habanero shaped. More thin walled compared to other Jamaican bonnets I have grown. Haven’t eaten enough to judge flavor yet.

Safi red has been a good producer, and it is making a decent amount of bonnet shaped pods. Flavor is good, but there is no Jamaican scotch bonnet flavor. The flavor is more comparable to the various red habaneros I have grown in the past. Floral Chinese aroma is less than average.

Red pods in the photo are Safi.

You have some nice bonnet shaped pods.

I am growing MOA, TFM, Safi Red, frontera, and Lemon Starrburst.

MOA pods are mostly not bonnet shaped so far. Flavor is excellent, classic Jamaican scotch bonnet flavor.

TFM pods are habanero shaped. More thin walled compared to other Jamaican bonnets I have grown. Haven’t eaten enough to judge flavor yet.

Safi red has been a good producer, and it is making a decent amount of bonnet shaped pods. Flavor is good, but there is no Jamaican scotch bonnet flavor. The flavor is more comparable to the various red habaneros I have grown in the past. Floral Chinese aroma is less than average.

Red pods in the photo are Safi.

Attachments

• 1692720892722.png
    1692720892722.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
The picture is of a Red Habanaro plant we grow & like, however it's not as flavorful as this years Scotchies.

Hi Guy's

My first year growing Scotch Bonnet's in my wee Scottish greenhouse, trying different varieties in 5 litre pot's and a couple in small kratky set ups.

20230823_140516.jpg

Beth boyd yellow scotch bonnet in 5 litre pot

20230820_144451.jpg

Chocolate Chocolate Scotch bonnet from white hot peppers

20230820_112747.jpg

Papa joe's scotch bonnet in Kratky set up

20230823_135839.jpg

Red Scotch Bonnet I grew from a fresh scotch bonnet from my local Halal shop

20230823_140332.jpg

Bahamian goat in kratky set up .............ones even got a tail ! 😁

Hi Guy's

My first year growing Scotch Bonnet's in my wee Scottish greenhouse, trying different varieties in 5 litre pot's and a couple in small kratky set ups.

20230823_140516.jpg

Beth boyd yellow scotch bonnet in 5 litre pot

20230820_144451.jpg

Chocolate Chocolate Scotch bonnet from white hot peppers

20230820_112747.jpg

Papa joe's scotch bonnet in Kratky set up

20230823_135839.jpg

Red Scotch Bonnet I grew from a fresh scotch bonnet from my local Halal shop

20230823_140332.jpg

Bahamian goat in kratky set up .............ones even got a tail ! 😁
Have you been able to make a comparison yet?

I had 2 choices for Scotch Bonnet seed. The Baker Creek seed co, & the Humble Servants Homestead.
Both had pepper seed that they claim is Real Scotch Bonnets from Jamaica, I know everyone says that.

So far I am really happy with the plants & the pods. The taste is, real scotch bonnet flavor & heat.

1692973670006.png

1692973818302.png

1692974335268.png

Last edited:
Hi Marc

Is that you schnieider farm yellow scotch bonnet from Justin ? Looking good 😁

I think I'd struggle with another capsicum chinense outdoors in Scotland ! 😳

However my chocolate scotch bonnet, Beth boyd, Papa joe's, and Bahamian goat are coming along nicely in the greenhouse I will probably keep the best two for next year

Stephen

Yes, that's it. And it's the only bonnet plant I have left right now... as is the case every year I start off with many varieties but when the plants grow larger I have to start reducing to fit everything in the available room. It's easy to say goodbye to some plants and harder for some others. But it's always based on how I like the taste.

Back