• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How can one get seeds into America; or how can one get...

Technically you are supposed to have a permit to receive seeds from another country. It is free and a waste for the occasional package in my opinion. Just ship it in a regular envelope and it is usually ok. Some people just wrap the packs in a piece of paper, I use a small amount of thin foam or bubble wrap to protect them. Just use minimal packaging. I have received many packs of seeds from several countries and only had 1 not make it out of at least 20. There is always a chance that customs will open and seize, but I think the odds are higher that the Post Office will lose it first.;)

jacob

Interesting, I'm going to tape some seeds to a sheet of paper (maybe 6 or 8 seeds). Will the tape mess up the seeds? I shouldn't think so, but...

jjs7741..... Said it best over all IMHO . Do use bubble wrap or something to guard against the rollers at the postal services. I had seeds get cracked and mashed.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I've sent and recieved hundreds of seed packages over the years and the only problem I ever had was with a package from just down the road in Toronto:(

POTAWIE said:
I've sent and recieved hundreds of seed packages over the years and the only problem I ever had was with a package from just down the road in Toronto:(

So, how were they all packaged? Just a baggie in an envelope?

I usually send a birthday/christmas card with seeds in a baggie inside bubble wrap or just a bubble envelope if sending within Canada.

i've gotten bday cards with a baggie in them, i've gotten envelopes with a baggie, and i've gotten envelopes with little tiny bit of bubble wrap.

they all work pretty well. bubble wrap works nice as i've seen but at the same time, is not necessary.

I would never send seeds without some form of padding or bubble wrap/ bubble packaging. Postal rollers are brutal

I have been part of the first two rounds of the Canada/US seed parcel and I have received seeds from other countries and have yet to have any issues. Most of the seeds I have received come in plain envelopes or those little yellow bubble wrap envelopes. You seriously have very little to worry about. Put the seeds in a little baggie and send them on their way. :D Happy mailing

I've had one package that was coming from England that was seized by US Customs. I've had a couple I sent to OZ get snagged by their Customs. Even had one coming out of OZ that was seized.

I went through the steps of getting the permits from the USDA. It isn't very difficult and doesn't cost anything but time and effort. You need patience though as it took several months for them to send me the permits. Going the legal way also slows down the delivery process a bunch. I have to send the folks sending me seeds a permit, they're bright yellow stickers that are placed on the outside of the package, which are then mailed to US Customs. They can open the package or not and then forward it on to me if they're happy. You have to include postage and an envelope to get the seeds from Customs to yourself too.

In other words I'm a huge fan of birthday cards. The seeds have to be protected though, like POTAWIE said postal rollers are brutal.

Good luck.

Back