• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How critical is pH?

Have any of you experimented with pH adjusting the water for peppers rather than just using city/well/distilled water?

I was curious if they are as picky as certain plants that the pH is very important in growing?

well there is a graph floating around that peppers absorb all the nutes/mico nutes between 5.5-6.5 i bubble a 5 gallon bucket and adjust the PH to 6 to water the soil plants

yea hydroponics youhave to have a low ph like 5.5-5.9 for nutrients to be uptaken. In potting soil I found that even watering with a ph of 5-8 plants still thrived, the advantage of using soil.

yea hydroponics youhave to have a low ph like 5.5-5.9 for nutrients to be uptaken. In potting soil I found that even watering with a ph of 5-8 plants still thrived, the advantage of using soil.

Yes, with hydroponics I understand that. Sorry, I should have said in soil.
I do adjust the pH of the water for my special plants but have never done it for the peppers.
I should as our water is alkaline here at about 9.0

Yes, with hydroponics I understand that. Sorry, I should have said in soil.
I do adjust the pH of the water for my special plants but have never done it for the peppers.
I should as our water is alkaline here at about 9.0

Yup and even ph of 5-8 is an exaggeration. So with your water being at nine it is time for some ph down, There are very cheap options.

My tap water is around 8.0 (according to a report from the water district & semi-confirmed with a cheap ph pen) and from my experiences with tomatoes last year, is not so good for the plants. I add a table spoon of lemon juice to each galon, which brings it down around 7.0 (6.8 according to the pen.) It seems to have helped.

I use lemon juice because I have a fairly bountiful lemon tree, but commercial ph down may be easier for you if you don't have a free supply of lemons lying around.

"I use lemon juice because I have a fairly bountiful lemon tree, but commercial ph down may be easier for you if you don't have a free supply of lemons lying around. "

That is very cool!!!!! :cool:

I read that lemon juice was not a good thing to use to lower the pH but I would have to try and find why they said that.
If there are no problems then I am set as my Ponderosa lemon tree is 12' and 10' wide.

well there is a graph floating around that peppers absorb all the nutes/mico nutes between 5.5-6.5 i bubble a 5 gallon bucket and adjust the PH to 6 to water the soil plants

Like this one?
phchart1_large_bl_wh.gif

Best to use nitric acid or phosphoric acid which are more usable by the plants, but most fertilizers are acidic too so if adding nutes, check and adjust pH after

Just my expereince, but PH is extremely important, it can make plants grow more in less than a week than a month of sustained life. I use much less nutes when the PH is on point.
Regulate PH with about 50/50 dependant, with rainwater/city water. I've used lemon juice, vinegar, ph up/down ect. ect. And have had the best results using high ph city water mixed with rainwater, even used algae laden pond water to mix with non evapted chlorine water. Algae settles and cannot thrive once exposed to higher ph-d water, when the mix is right.
The main problem with using up, down, ect is you add more variables. It's easy to control 3 items, like 1.city water(has evaporating 2.Chlorine) and 3. Rainwater.
This year I'm using DWC outdoors with the sun as the light source, keeping my pumps covered and letting the rainwater have its way with the hydroton if it leaks in, I'm dealing with low PH after rain vs the usual high PH of indoor. No pests very fast growth and the plants take up nutes much better than the high fluctuating ph of indoor water.
I only ck the PH with cheap test strips bout every week and a half and the reason I posted this is, with a proper or slightly low PH I've not have to guess the plants problems or over feed them, because they are growing like crazy, and I dont wast time or money trying to fix them. Usually i grow indoors and ck them every 4 days or so, definitely wasted money on nutes and slow growth.
But....I havent flowed a pepper on hydro yet, I'm guessing again it will be easier. as i've got some small flowers and none have fallen off yet. I'm thinking I won't need a flowering solution, just up the standard solution, which is --general hydroponics--and raise the ph.
Anyway if anyone has anything to add about going from indoor to outdoor , I'm all ears.

Re-read my post after i posted it, it should have read, But.. I havent flowered a pepper plant outdoor on Hydro yet....

The best pH down I've used is citric acid believe it or not (granular). It's not too strong and the plants always seem to respond very well to it.

Cheap too - you can find it in the canning section or spice section. $12 bought me a lifetime supply (six 7- oz ziplock packets).

Holy cow! 9.0 ?? When you bathe in it do you come out hairless? That's amazingly alkaline. Is it all due to carbonates? What is the ppm/eC of your water? I've never heard of well water that alkaline.

Intrigued.

Actually I think it's more like 8.5 but still alkaline.
The ppm is fantastic at about 19 ppm.
Our water comes from Hetch-Hetchy Reservoir in Yosemite and is considered some of the best tap water in the country.
I believe they make it alkaline to help with corrosion in the pipes.

A ph meter is needed when growing in say coco chips. You do not need a ph meter when growing in potting mix. that is a huge difference between soil and hydro.

Back