• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

how deep to plant

hello all. 2nd year growing hot peppers. last year went very well.  my seedlings are now ready for transplant. some will go in 3gal. pots some will go in my garden. i have a few reapers with a flat spot on the lower part of the stem. if i plant them deep like a tomato will they grow more roots above the flat spot on the stem? any advice is much welcomed.

rickster said:
hello all. 2nd year growing hot peppers. last year went very well.  my seedlings are now ready for transplant. some will go in 3gal. pots some will go in my garden. i have a few reapers with a flat spot on the lower part of the stem. if i plant them deep like a tomato will they grow more roots above the flat spot on the stem? any advice is much welcomed.
yup pretty much same as tomato, plant it as deep as you want.

How old are your plants? If they're young and green, do like juanitos said and plant them deep if you want. But if the stems are starting to toughen up and maybe getting some bark on them, it's too late to plant deep. 
     Tomato stem tissue doesn't really differentiate like pepper stems do. They'll pretty much always be ready to send roots out. But pepper plant stems will lose that ability after a certain point and planting them deep will only result in stem rot. 

Not the same as a tomato. Tomatoes can be planted with almost nothing above soil and will aggressively root and draw deep moisture from soil. You can literally bury 9/10ths of a tomato and it'll be happy if it gets sun on leaves.

Peppers are not that. Don't plant them below the first cotyledon leaves.

Agree with Dave on this one. Some of my cherry tomatoes are trying to root from branches 5 feet in the air, but every year when I plant peppers down to the cotyledons new leaves pop out from that node. No new roots. Even under where the seed leaves were, rooting has not been great in my experience.

Back