• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

How did you know what you wanted as a career?

SnakeDoc said:
I was actually going to commission in the Army, but the recruiter told me I won't get passed MEPS because of my dairy/soy allergy.

Have you talked to the other services?

Sickmont said:
I was thinkin more like the Coast Guard:lol:

well that's fair......:lol:

I'm an aussie so i don't really know about the coast guard all that much, but isn't the coast guard a pretty full on job????

I guess it's the same as military......all depends on the role you are playing.....

From the picture i have in my head I have a lot of respect for the coast guard....

not that i don't have respect for the military.......Oh i;'ll jusat shut up now....:lol:

Sickmont said:
Have you talked to the other services?

Yes I have. The Army actually has the most relaxed standards right now, getting into the other services is much harder. Anyway, my current job upon graduation is doing IT in the NYC area. I did just get an offer from a defense contractor, though the salary is about $7K less and I don't know if I see much growth in defense with Obama in office. Decisions decisions...

I don't know the ins and outs of MEPS but you could probably get a waiver for that..seems you can get a waiver for most things.

Coast Guard wouldn't be bad, but I hear it is actually somewhat tough to get your foot in the door there. Also, don't think the CG doesn't get deployed, there were a bunch of CG vessels out in the Persian gulf.

The recruiters from AF, Army, Navy, and Marines all called MEPS for me if a waiver was possible, and they said not in my case. I'm going to stick with the job I have for at least a year or two, then maybe I'll venture out somewhere else. In the mean time, I'm going to grow hot peppers to keep myself sane.

:hell:

My parents were both circus clowns and I grew up in that environment so it was only natural that I pursue a government job.

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
My parents were both circus clowns and I grew up in that environment so it was only natural that I pursue a government job.

Cheers, TB.

So the only difference is the makeup, huh?:lol:

Back