• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pH How do all of you store you're PH meter?

My PH meter is a Milwaukee ph56 and it says to store it wet. I bought the solution and put it in a glass. However after a week I noticed the soultion crystalized and evaporated or dried up or something. Now I have it sitting in bottled drinking water in a glass.

It just seems odd to have this meter sitting in the open year round in a glass.

Whats the catch? How do all of you store it?

Oh and how often do you change the solution its sitting in?

my Hanna meter came with a little rubber "cap" that fits over the probe tip. I put a couple drops of 7.01 buffer solution in the cap, and then store it upright in a small jar. Sometimes I won't use the pH meter for weeks at a time if I'm not processing. If that is the case, I check the rupper tip once a month or so to make sure it still has solution and hasn't evaporated.

I just looked at the pdf for your meter, and it looks to me you would put the solution (or distilled water, if your meter does not specify storing in a buffer solution) in the cap cover. It may be just the picture, but it looks like the cap is fairly large and would hold a tablespoon or more of solution. My cap is tiny, only takes a couple drops. Anyway, put the solution/water in the cap and then store upright so it doesn't leak out.

i store my electrodes in these things.

http://www.amazon.com/Oakton-pH-Electrode-Storage-Bottle/dp/B004G8PUO8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351206059&sr=8-2&keywords=ph+electrode+bottle

they are only for standard sized electrodes tho. im guessing your pen is not 12mm or w/e.

you might try just puting the whole thing in a small baggie or jar. im guessing the seal around the protector cap thing is letting the solution evaporate?

Clean probes with distilled water, and like Brian's mine has a foam pad with an air tight cap. I use a buffer solution, store it back in the box, upright position.

Mine doesn't say anything about how to store it but after reading a bunch of reviews of meters that said to store it wet I keep a bit of filtered water in the cap and stand it in a corner in my sauce cabinet.

The Hanna directions said something about distilled water also, don't remember specifically, but I know for sure it said to store in the 7.01 buffer. Try to get ahold of the manufacturer for more specific instructions. RM and Peppernator, that seems strange your meters didn't have more detailed instructions. Everything i've heard/seen/etc says to not to let the probe dry out. Whether that's with buffer or h2o...???....peppernator, if you get a definitive answer from the mfr, please post badk. I'd like to know what they recommend.

Edit-
just found this-
"How should I store my pH probe..?
You should use MA9016 cleaning solution for cleaning your probe, and MA9015 for storage of the probe when not in use. All pH probes use a cloth junction in the construction of the probe. This cloth is part of the diagnostic process in reading the pH. Never let the probe dry out. If the cloth becomes dry, the unit will not be able to read. "

Found it here~

I have a milwaukee PH 56 Meter and the manual says,

(Quote) - Leave the protective cap off and put the unit back in a cup or jar that has 1" to 1.5" of either bottle drinking water, or 4.01 calibration solution, or MA9015 storage solution.

NEVER LET YOUR PROBE DRY OUT.
NEVER USE DISTILLED OR DEIONIED WATER FOR STORAGE PURPOSES.

So I emailed my company this is what they said.

"Please store your probe in a cup or jar with about 1 inch of storage
solution or bottled water in the jar or cup. The reason we do not want you
to use the Is because first you cannot see where the water level is in the
second reason is that the probe does not go to the bottom of the cap and the
opportunity for letting your probe dry out is easier in that than the jar.

If you're not going to be using the instrument for an extended period of
time rinse the probe first in white distilled vinegar for about two or three
minutes then put it in isopropanol alcohol for two or three minutes swishing
around and then take out and let dry. This is the best procedure to assure
you there are no contaminants that may clog up the junction. There is no
guarantee that once the probe is allowed to drive that you will be able to
rehydrate it that this works 80 to 85% of the time.

I hope this information has been helpful
Milwaukee Instruments customer support. "

Ok so they had some typos. But they were NOT recommending using the cap filled with the solution. The thing that confuses me is why would I store it dry long term if I only have an 85% chance of getting it to work after. It sucks for me because I won't use this meter until next grow season. (Unless I get my hands on pods throughout the winter)

I guess I'll just store in a jar of storing solution or bottled water year round even if I won't use it for another 9 months.

What a pain in the butt.

interesting tid bit about storing it for "extended" periods.

you store it dry because you dont want the cell to "flow" the reference electrolyte out. i would guess thats if you want to store it for years and years. ph pens usually only last a year or two in my experience. not sure why you would dry it out to store it that long. im guessing that procedure if more for storing the very expensive refillable glass electrodes.

Torch,
Using the company's recommendations, my suggestion would be to use a mason/canning jar large enough to fit the whole unit, put 1" of the solution or bottled water in the jar, place the meter in the jar (without the meter cap as the probe has to be in the water) and then use a typical lid and ring it to keep the water/solution from evaporating. Store in a cool, dry place.

Dunno why it has to be in a "cool, dry" place, but that's what "they" all say. :lol:

Torch,
Using the company's recommendations, my suggestion would be to use a mason/canning jar large enough to fit the whole unit, put 1" of the solution or bottled water in the jar, place the meter in the jar (without the meter cap as the probe has to be in the water) and then use a typical lid and ring it to keep the water/solution from evaporating. Store in a cool, dry place.

Dunno why it has to be in a "cool, dry" place, but that's what "they" all say. :lol:
Since the device is electronic......heat and humidity long term are the worst things possible. High resistance can build up under surface mount circuit board components. Inaccurate results can occur. Thats why a cap is used, for the probes only. I wouldn't recommend encapsulating the entire device in the jar.....unless it designed to with stand high humidity enviroments...

SalsaLady,

Im going to do what you suggested except for putting a lid on it. I will just add more water to it as needed. If it breaks oh well 65 bucks down the drain. But I will need to know of a much better PH meter that wont be such a pain to store.

Does it even come "wet" when shipped? :P and if it doesn't, are they expecting 80-85% faulty units? That would be strange. Has anyone asked how they ship their units? :P

Oh, I'll most likely order a unit pretty soon. It's either that or getting some litmus paper.

good question Philip. And WELCOME!

I cant remember how my meter was shipped.

Torch, you can minimize evaporation by using a small jar and cover it with a couple layers of plastic wrap. Poke the probe through the wrap, and it will help reduce evaporation.

Some good information in this thread~

I would also think that storing it long term, whether in aim water or a buffer solution you'd want to ensure that your using demineralized water. That way if it does evaporate you don't have a mineral crust built up all over your tip.

Also I know for certain that mine shipped dry. So now I'm starting to rethink this storing wet or dry thing. My instructions say nothing about storage.

Yes mine was shipped dry as well. To activate it the instructions were to let it sit in drinking water for 2-4 hours. After that use as you would. Anyone out there that doesn't use ph meter pens? Is the storing process much different? Now I'm wondering if I should have spent the extra bucks in the beginning and avoided the pen type. Either way I wont store dry and take those chances of 85%.

The stored solution actually did crystalize all over my meter. Now I just used bottled water and keep adding more to the glass its sitting in. Instead of keeping it a inch of water i put it in 4-5 inches. That way evaporation isn't an issue.

The Hanna directions said something about distilled water also, don't remember specifically, but I know for sure it said to store in the 7.01 buffer. Try to get ahold of the manufacturer for more specific instructions. RM and Peppernator, that seems strange your meters didn't have more detailed instructions. Everything i've heard/seen/etc says to not to let the probe dry out. Whether that's with buffer or h2o...???....peppernator, if you get a definitive answer from the mfr, please post badk. I'd like to know what they recommend.

Edit-
just found this-
"How should I store my pH probe..?
You should use MA9016 cleaning solution for cleaning your probe, and MA9015 for storage of the probe when not in use. All pH probes use a cloth junction in the construction of the probe. This cloth is part of the diagnostic process in reading the pH. Never let the probe dry out. If the cloth becomes dry, the unit will not be able to read. "

Found it here~

Thanks all, no distilled for sure then. I have plenty buffers but am going to look for a storage solution.

I searched the net for more info, no luck. It's a PH009(I) They are Chinese, mfg is Shiwei in Guangdong China. Also says CE and Portableph. May be hard finding an answer from them, Alibaba sells them in 200 lots to sellers like on Ebay. Might be easier getting some info from the seller. They are inexpensive, $13 or so shipped but calibrated right on with the 4 and 7. I'm going to be using it again soon and will recal and see. Then store proper.

The enclosed instructions don't mention any solution. Only storage info is if it is stored a long time, re-calibrate. Kinda vague! 7.

Back