• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do I protect plants with flowers when it gets hot

it's supposed to be in the upper nineties this weekend and last time it was that hot my plant dropped off it's few flowers. It has way more now and I don't want them to fall of again. I had the plant in a shaded are from about 12pm onward and it still couldn't handle the heat. What's the best way to prevent losing all my flowers again?

Shade cloth all the time, could be damp. Water it with cooler water and spray with cooler water. I use this method to get mine used to being outside.

Here are a few pics of mine:

IMG_20140517_160944_975-Copy_zps99f39a89.jpg

IMG_20140517_151522_009-Copy_zps9662ee18.jpg

IMG_20140517_151416_079-Copy_zpsc75ab197.jpg

This one is done now, but the picture shows the edges unfinished on the cloth
IMG_20140527_194731_375_zpscfa1dc0c.jpg

randyp said:
        This setup has quick connects so I can roll it up to the fence when I don't need it.About any contraption you can come up with will be a big help.Good luck..
2014-06-03 003.JPG
Hi sorry late reply. I built a shade thing for my peppers. as long as they are in the shade, will 100 degree temperatures make them drop flowers or is it the sun itself that does it?

Even in the shade when its that hot they can drop.Usually the overnight lows that stay hot piss them off also.Hang in there and they will make it. ;)

I don't have but a few flowers getting ready to open do to late planting and a deer came in an topped a lot of my plants, but it will be 109F this week and we always see 115F in the Summer here, not sure anything will help my plants. LOL 

Yeah, I just moved from Portland to Boise. It's been near 100F for a while and that pattern is going to stay for a while. My plants have lots of wrinkled leaves and generally look sun stressed. I got a 40% sunshade to install this weekend. Hope 40% is enough to helps. On the positive side, my soil mix this year contains more tree firs, and less perlite, and that combo is resulting in much longer water retention even in this heat.

Unfortunately the high night time temperatures are still likely to cause drop, but on the plus side if the plants' energy isn't going into pods then they're going to get larger than they otherwise would so you should have a larger fall yield.

Yeah they do for sure.. The white shelf liner solved that problem for me.. . Without it the root ball would cook for real lol

Don't let them wilt, not even for a short time, keep them moist and spray the leaves... I have had plants roasting in full sun, 90+ heat and never dropped more than a few flowers and set business as usual... As long as they are watered in the morning and an afternoon mist on the leaves.

Back