• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do you brew your guano?

I'm gonna get some guano tomorrow to try and help the fruit set/growth. I keep reading to make a tea with it but I can't find any information on how to do it.

Diablo said:
So is it simply just mix it with water and water the plants? Or is there some kind of process?

I'm not sure, but that would make sense... Anything that replicates the inside of a birds gut, and I would imagine it being pretty warm (110F) inside the bird's gut.

So I would mix it with hot water, wait for it to cool a bit (around 110F) and then soak the seeds for however long you decide.

I dont use poo, I soak mine in hot water with 10 parts bleach (stick finger in bleach bottle and then mix into cup of warm water). I let them soak for 3-5 minutes, then I remove them, rinse them and soak them for another 3-5 minutes in warm water.

Then I put them in sterlized potting soil (moistened and microwaved for 5 minutes or so).

I keep them at 85F for 24 hours a day, and I had my Bih Jolokia seeds germinate in 6 days!

I was so shocked at how fast they germinated I thought at first it was some random seeds that were in the potting soil, but apon further inspection they were coming from the center (where I placed them) and still had the empty seed casing nearby. Not to mention the soil was zapped in the microwave for 5 or 6 minutes to the point where it was steaming.

Interesting, thanks man. I'm having a problem keeping my buds on the plant. The fruit sets cause I find little bb sized chilis in the dead flower. But the plants just keep dropping the chili buds. So I was thinking of giving them a natural dose of guano tea. Funny cause I knew about making the tea to help germination but I didn't put together that I could use this same guano tea. Awesome. I'll need to make like 10 gallons of the stuff.

Diablo said:
Interesting. I'm having a problem keeping my buds on the plant. The fruit sets cause I find little bb sized chilis in the dead flower. But the plants just keep dropping the chili buds. So I was thinking of giving them a natural dose of guano tea. Funny cause I knew about making the tea to help germination but I didn't put together that I could use this same guano tea. Awesome. I'll need to make like 10 gallons of the stuff.

Ohh mybad, I thought you were talking about germinating seeds, birdpoo works great I hear (not sure about bat poo), but for use as a fertilizer just get it to a liquid state so it can penetrate the soil.

I have heard that spraying epsom salt on the leaves/flowers can help with fruit set.

You might also want to get some Bloom Fertilizer (15-30-15 or similar).

Well they are setting the fruit, but the plants just don't want to keep the chili's on. I'm using Fox Farm Ocean Forest so I'm pretty sure they don't need ferts. But I'm thinking it might need a lil boost of some P to help keep the chili's on and growing. One plant has several set fruits but it is completely stalled out for the last 2 weeks. At least it isn't dropping the flowers but they aren't growing AT ALL either.

Are the lower leaves getting yellow, spots of yellow and or falling off? And how are the top leaves? Any curling or yellowing?

If the lower leaves are yellowing or dropping, it's a nutrient deficiency and the plant is cannibalizing the lower leaves to protect the top growth.

This can stunt a plant and cause early set fruit to drop. Also, irregular watering can cause the fruit to drop.

Also how many hours of direct sunlight are they getting?

Yeah, the plants that got crappy soil, only three of them, are cannibalizing. Good catch on that man, thanks. I'll have to give them some actual ferts.

Watering I'm doing good with for the most part, wait for the soil to dry out good, they don't quite go all the way to wilt but I know the soil is mostly dry.

For the direct sun, maybe 3-4 hours. From about 10am to about 2pm or so. The sun is pretty brutal here and the pots were getting hot enough to hurt the roots. So I put them in the shade for a while. Today after doing some reading I removed the shade this afternoon. They are bigger now to where the pots shouldn't be getting too much direct sun to hurt the roots.

I have noticed a little bit of weird curling of the top leaves on some of the plants, it comes and goes though it seems.

Diablo said:
Yeah, the plants that got crappy soil, only three of them, are cannibalizing. Good catch on that man, thanks. I'll have to give them some actual ferts.

Watering I'm doing good with for the most part, wait for the soil to dry out good, they don't quite go all the way to wilt but I know the soil is mostly dry.

For the direct sun, maybe 3-4 hours. From about 10am to about 2pm or so. The sun is pretty brutal here and the pots were getting hot enough to hurt the roots. So I put them in the shade for a while. Today after doing some reading I removed the shade this afternoon. They are bigger now to where the pots shouldn't be getting too much direct sun to hurt the roots.

I have noticed a little bit of weird curling of the top leaves on some of the plants, it comes and goes though it seems.

You need to give them at least 6 hours of direct sun a day, if you are worried about the roots you can place mulch above the soil, other than that the plant will shade it all by itself.

I belive this is the cause of your flower/pod drop. For most peppers, the more sun the better.

what to do is simple. just get ya self a bucket. Fill it with water add ya guano , or compost or manure. To kick things up ad compost accelerator. And let sit for 24 hours. If you want go down to the local goldfish store and get an air pump. Place it in the mix and let it sit for the next day. tHen train of the liquid and put it on ya plants. Its alot like brewing COMPOST TEA.

With the guano for me this year, i used a tea in my aeroponic unit and it kicked ass. MAJOR growth in the first week. I also put a heavy teaspoon full into the pots as i moved the seedlings into the 5gal pots and the growth was immediate with nice strong pods. Guano works and works fast! Tea or mixed into your potting medium, you will not be disappointed.

@RichardK Thanks man, will do. I don't have a lot of options so we'll see how the increase that I am able to give does for them.

@peppermanbaha Thank you! So if I have like 12 plants, each in a 3-7 gallon pot I have to brew a lot of tea ha?

@fineexampl alright, thanks man!

Do I have to strain the tea? Also, would the guano still be effective if just sprinkled on top and watered in?

yeah. After ya strain the guano the solid part is still very effective as a fertilizer. and can be used to mix in potting soils and or in the compost pile. not really good with measure on the three gallon compost thing but remember a little if brewed correctly goes a long way. if you use alot the plant will grow too huge or maybe over fertilized.

I applied the tea yesterday. I didn't really let it sit for a day in the sun. I got a 2 gallon bucket and mixed in about 12 heaping tablespoons of some archipelago bat guano. I picked up 2 pounds for 9.95. I couldn't wait for a day cause the only plant with all the stalled out buds looked like it was getting ready to start dropping them. So I mixed up the batch and added the murky water to the 12 pots I have. Already today I see 2 new pods growing. Getting kind of excited.

EDIT : You actually can never use to much of something organic. Sp you cant over fertilize your plants. Good on ya diablo.Yah organic stuff is really exciting.

Back