• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How do you guys harden off your pepper seedlings?

this i'd like to know as well. last time i didn't really care and just left them outside. it think it kinda messed with them a lot, but they're healthy now haha

On a more serious note, I usually put them outside in a shady area for an hour or two and progressively add time to that over about a week. Has worked for me for years.

Okay I have some Cherry tomato seedlings along with Jalapeno seedlings that are about a month and 5 days old, the rest are nearly a month old. Here are some pics.

e6aecbffe6.jpg

a19938763a.jpg

684d26fe18.jpg

d52baf71f8.jpg

I don't know why the last pic is so tiny...

I put them in my garage.. Will that work to harden them off? It's pretty hot and humid in there.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
I usually yell obscenities at them, make them cut firewood and do 100 pushups a day...

:rofl:

There are a lot of threads on this site that have to do with hardening off. I believe there is some hardening off information in some of the pinned threads, too. So you might want to do a search to get a more complete answer. But note that where you are located and how you treat your seedlings in advance makes a big difference. You are fairly close to the equator, so your sun and heat is typically more intense than it is in the northern states. So the first question I have back for you is why aren't you just starting them outside in the first place? I grew up in Houston, and never started seeds indoors, but just put them in the ground outside directly. Now that I live in the north, though, our growing season isn't so long, so I do start them indoors. 

You have them in cups in trays, but do you keep a fan on them? A fan both helps prevent damping off by helping to dry out the soil surface and it helps simulate the wind that they will get outside. How much light do they get now? A super-sunny window is best, but if you have lights on them instead you are going to have to get them used to sunlight. As already stated, you'll have to start them off in a shady spot to start with. Keep in mind that hardening off is about all elements, so you'll need to protect them from wind and sun at first.

I started them indoors because my cats absolutely love digging things up and "doing their business" where I dug right before them. If my cats see there is something growing in that spot they will smell it, try eating it for some odd reason, then walk away. They can't see seeds underground so they will just go ahead and piss/shit in my soil. I actually just built a shed type thing, in the winter I will put some plastic on the sides and it will be a green house, in the summer I'll take that plastic off and put some chicken wire there instead so that the cats don't get into it.

I do have a fan on them. In total it is on 4 hours a day, I split those 4 hours into about 30-45 minute segments.

I have a shelf and T8 florescent bulbs on it that are on 16 hours and off 8 hours.

Can I leave them out at night or do they have to be out during the day? I wouldn't want the sun burning them... It is very hot here atm.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
I usually yell obscenities at them, make them cut firewood and do 100 pushups a day...

Too much work. Just use a hammer.

Also, as geeme alluded to, you need to get them used to many things outdoors. Not just sunlight. Wind, low humidity, sunlight, temperature swings. Start them in the shade for an hour or two (less time if it's particularly windy or hot) for the first few days. Then give them an hour or so of direct sun (early morning or evening is best), again if it's not too windy or hot. Just keep increasing their exposure to these elements (hot, cold, dry, direct sunlight etc.) and keep an eye on how they respond. Keep in mind how each aspect of outdoor life can act synergistically (hot+sun, wind+low humidity...) Play it by ear and keep pushing the envelope every day or so.
     Also keep in mind that it just takes time for the physiological and chemical changes to occur in your plants. They need to build up anthocyanin for sun protection; vascular systems, roots and cuticle for wind/low humidity; stem lignin for wind and mechanical stress; immune systems for pests and disease; etc. Indoor plants are weaklings and it takes an indoor plant a lot of energy and time to build itself up for an outdoor life.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Too much work. Just use a hammer.

Also, as geeme alluded to, you need to get them used to many things outdoors. Not just sunlight. Wind, low humidity, sunlight, temperature swings. Start them in the shade for an hour or two (less time if it's particularly windy or hot) for the first few days. Then give them an hour or so of direct sun (early morning or evening is best), again if it's not too windy or hot. Just keep increasing their exposure to these elements (hot, cold, dry, direct sunlight etc.) and keep an eye on how they respond. Keep in mind how each aspect of outdoor life can act synergistically (hot+sun, wind+low humidity...) Play it by ear and keep pushing the envelope every day or so.
     Also keep in mind that it just takes time for the physiological and chemical changes to occur in your plants. They need to build up anthocyanin for sun protection; vascular systems, roots and cuticle for wind/low humidity; stem lignin for wind and mechanical stress; immune systems for pests and disease; etc. Indoor plants are weaklings and it takes an indoor plant a lot of energy and time to build itself up for an outdoor life.

Alright I'll start tomorrow. Thanks!

I agree with previous posters that you should start hardening off indoors with a fan, to get them used to the wind.  Any cheap oscillating fan will do.  This is very important.  If you fail to do this, even small exposures to strong gusts will knock over stems and require early staking.

What I do to get the gradually used to real sun:

Leave them outside in real direct sun for:

1st time - 5 minutes
2nd time 20 minutes

Then, gradually build up the time.  If they start to wilt a little while outside, watch them and try to let them "tough it out."  If they start wilting more, them bring them inside ASAP.

Keep in mind that the plants will be very thirsty after exposed to sun and stronger wind, so watch out for dryness when you bring them back in and water accordingly.

dragon49 said:
I agree with previous posters that you should start hardening off indoors with a fan, to get them used to the wind.  Any cheap oscillating fan will do.  This is very important.  If you fail to do this, even small exposures to strong gusts will knock over stems and require early staking.

What I do to get the gradually used to real sun:

Leave them outside in real direct sun for:

1st time - 5 minutes
2nd time 20 minutes

Then, gradually build up the time.  If they start to wilt a little while outside, watch them and try to let them "tough it out."  If they start wilting more, them bring them inside ASAP.

Keep in mind that the plants will be very thirsty after exposed to sun and stronger wind, so watch out for dryness when you bring them back in and water accordingly.

Should I bring them out once a day? Like

Day 1: 5 minutes
Day 2: 20 minutes
etc etc.

Or should I bring them out every couple of hours?

backyardpepper said:

Should I bring them out once a day? Like

etc etc.

Or should I bring them out every couple of hours?

I use this version:

etc etc.

Because of my schedule and the inconvenience of moving the plants.  I've been doing it for at least 5 years and it works, so I recommend it.

Regarding bringing them out every couple of hours, I've never tired it and am not sure whether it is a good system.  

Good luck!

My work schedule doesn't allow me to properly harden plants off but what works for me is to just stick em outside in the shade for like a week and that's it. Then they go right out into the sun. Never had a problem.

so would hardening off differ if the plants are more mature? I have some that range 4" to 20" right now. I don't plan on putting them outside till they're larger and more foliage because of the pests down here that wreck smaller plants

Not to add to this but I was amazed that my cheater tank plants under color leds DO NOT need to be hardened off. I have put 5 out now with the live or die mentality and not a single leaf got sunburned in full southern sun. Very strange and also very good for me!

I start mine in a place that gets morning sun knowing they will be in shade later and move them a little more into sun over about 10 days then into the soil. 

I agree with shade! This year I put mine so they got a hour or two of morning sun and shaded the rest of the day. I also put some out when the whole week was rainy or overcast and everything worked out pretty well. I only really had sun burn on a few leaves

Ok, we've got a lot of northerners posting in a thread by a southerner - the intensity of the sun in Florida is far greater than anything north of the Mason-Dixon line. But, that said, the 5 minutes the first day thing is a bit too conservative, IMO. The 20 minutes of sun is a decent starting point, given where you're at. You could probably go with 30. The big thing is to set a timer so you don't forget! Yes, morning sun at first, after you move them out of the shade, is best. Note that once they get to 6 hours/day in full sun they're usually good to go for a full day.

But note, also, that while your heat/humidity/light is great for plant growth, it is often too hot in the hottest part of the summer for pod production. Most growers in the south use shade cloth to help with this. Something you should probably consider adding once your plants get large enough.

Back