• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do you read this chart?

I found this and thought it would be useful, but maybe i'm not really sure I'm understanding it right. I live in Half Moon Bay, so it's saying there's a 90% chance of it being 36 degrees or less on January 16th?

I use weather.com and the farthest I could see was the end of december and our average low is only 48, but I would be interested to see the website you found and see what it says for January in LA.

The particular varieties you are growing makes a difference - some peppers are native to cold-weather areas, and handle short stints of cold like you would have just fine. We've gotten down to 32F at night here, and I'm growing in pots - I put them in the garage with the door wide open to avoid frost, and the ones that are cold-tolerant are doing fine. Actually, even the annuums are doing fine like that, and they aren't known for being cold-tolerant.

I found this and thought it would be useful, but maybe i'm not really sure I'm understanding it right. I live in Half Moon Bay, so it's saying there's a 90% chance of it being 36 degrees or less on January 16th?

Maybe they have an idea based on a well fed model what the mean temperature should look like but its all in how they cook the numbers and in climate models you have to really cook to get down to daily resolution on a small region 2.5 months out.

Where is this chart you speak of????
Go to weather.com and put in your zip code (or city and state), then choose the monthly tab. From there, you can click the arrow to see the forecast for the next month. Pretty straight-forward.

My greenhouse gets down to 36 or even less almost every night this time of year, and everything is doing just fine. Just cover the plants with an old sheet or something if frost is expected. That should work down to about 30. If it was 36 in the middle of January here, I would be wearing shorts and flip flops!

I just found this map on weather.com. It's the drought conditions as of October 25. A pretty challenging year for Texas and all the states that touch her. We growers didn't really need a map to tell us that, however:

drought-monitor-110211.jpg

Back