• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grocery How does one feed their family today .....

OK am I crazy My Wife usually orders all the food from Kroger etc and has it delivered so I never go to the store , I just thought fresh Orange juice would be nice and checked the price for Oranges Those things are $1.00 a piece now then I started looking at other items my God How does anyone afford to buy Groceries nowadays ! I think I'll just not look and let Her run that show .

Figure out when the prices get discounted (usually in the evenings). Then rock up and help yourself. Quite often the store staff will tell you. The only downside is that you are getting the store to decide what to eat, not 100% in your court.

I will find & buy food from bulk suppliers & grow every nook & cranny of our land in food! 😡
Oh wait I do that now & have for a very long time, never did trust anyone to provide food for me & mine.

We must produce as much food for ourselves as possible, & trade with others for things you can't grow.
Raise some chickens for meat & eggs, a pig or goat for milk etc.

The most troubling trend I see is the absence of certain foods & many small farms shutting down.
Milk, imported cheeses, produce from South America many things that people got used to are gone from the shelves.

Are you having any trouble getting food from the US?

If you’re not growing something (or all) that you eat you‘re entering a new arena of ‘unknown foods’. What the FDA allows to be sold as ‘edible nutrition’ isn’t necessarily so. The long lasting effects (EVERYTHING you consume effects your body) of ‘genetically modified foods’ doesn’t have enough supporting data to be exposing the general public to its potential risks. Not to mention the ‘chemical cocktails’ they’re allowed to add to food already. Think it’s safe??? Using ‘Third World’ countries people as ‘unknowing test subjects’ should not be allowed either. GREED IS A NASTY BITCH…IF SHE KNOCKS AT YOUR DOOR, DON’T ANSWER IT!!!

Milk, imported cheeses, produce from South America many things that people got used to are gone from the shelves.

Before the pandemic, the US considered Mexico as its backyard garden, and Mexico considered itself as the backyard garden of the US. Mexican producers were stimulated to grow cash crops for export, such as avocado, peppers, ... Because local growers produced for export, Mexico had to import much of its basic foods, especially maize. When the pandemic arrived and it was every country for itself, the government here realized that the country was far from self-sufficient, although it has all the means to be so. Since then, there have been programs to reactivate the production of beans and corn for the national market, and become less dependent on the US for its basic foods.

Also, Latin America is very much in crisis at the moment, direct consequence of the huge numbers of migrants that are on the move. Migration routes are controlled by organized crime, and it is becoming clear they are settling in. Here in MX, they expel locals and take over their land, land that is not cultivated anymore.

Last edited:
Back in the 70s I felt there was something wrong with Hybrid seeds. I did not own them
Maybe it was my Grandmother who survived the Depression by growing fruit & vegetables then
starting a restaurant/Hotel to survive.

She taught me to never lose your seed, you must own them yourself.
I believe you will starve a lot sooner not owning your own seeds, then by having to find animal poop to feed your plants.

Wouldn't they cross-pollinate if you grow more than one variety? Not so big a deal for me with tomatoes, but I don't want my anaheims crossing with my serranos or habaneros!

about the only meat we buy is beef.
i hunt and fish often . i have a orange,satsuma and fig tree and a small garden.

here is a pic of one of my feeders, the spotted one is the mother and the big ridge back is the pops. that female been hanging around for 3 years, i take her pigglets and usually gut shoot the big male outlaw boars

its a north 52 mile one way trip to the camp, and a south 52 mile one way to fish.
TSC_0617.JPG

Back