• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How does this potting mix look?

I'm having to pot my plants early and was thinking of using Happy Frog, mushroom compost and Perlite for the medium, and was wondering if this was enough or if I needed to add anything else. Someone had suggested FoxFarm's Peace of Mind in addition to the Happy Frog, but they might have just been trying to make a sale, but I wasn't sure if I should add kelp or blood meal or something. Also, what ratios would be best? If I just used the three, I was thinking 70% Happy Frog, 20% mushroom compost and 10% Perlite. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I think your potting soil mixture sounds great, i put mushroom compost in my raised beds and everything loves it. I personally use only fox farm soils because the already have many nutrients in them like guano, kelp, worm castings and etc. Your gonna have healthy plants my friend. :dance:

I do prefer to add slightly more perlite just because it helps me prevent overwatering by giving the soil less chances to retain too much water, and to promote oxygen access to the roots... I use 20% and plants seem to love it, but your mix looks good too !

So you think a 60-20-20 mix of Happy Frog, mushroom compost and perlite would be best? My plants are a chocolate habanero, pumpkin habanero and scotch bonnet by the way.

Hmm, from my experience the Happy Frog by itself is more than enough for the plants for at least a month. If you want to add some perlite, then that is fine, but take it from me the HF drains well enough by itself. I really don't see the need for the mushroom compost.

Hmm, from my experience the Happy Frog by itself is more than enough for the plants for at least a month. If you want to add some perlite, then that is fine, but take it from me the HF drains well enough by itself. I really don't see the need for the mushroom compost.

So are you saying that the Happy Frog and mushroom compost together would retain too much water? I've never used HF, but I figured using mushroom compost with it would give the plants an adequate amount of nutrients, and the perlite would help with areate and drain the soil.

I can not agree more!!!!!!!!!! Use the potting mix by itself. Go ahead see for yourself. Plant one plant in 100% happy frog soil and watch it thrive and grow faster then the other plants with added compost. Never add compost to potting soil. the more compost the less air porosity. Air will make plants grow way quiker then anything(hydroponics), so in turn the less compost the higher the yield. I would use the happy frog by itself. The perlite it the only thing I would add and that is not needed.

So are you saying that the Happy Frog and mushroom compost together would retain too much water? I've never used HF, but I figured using mushroom compost with it would give the plants an adequate amount of nutrients, and the perlite would help with areate and drain the soil.

Do not look at compost as a nutrient source for container growing. It is nothing more then fine partical material that once the plant uses all of the very little nutrients that are in it, it is nothing more then muck cloging roots. Use a water soluble fertilizer, or organic liquid fertilizer.

Thanks for the info compmodder and capsicum, I definitely won't use the mushroom compost. So would there even be any noticeable benefit to using the perlite? If not, I don't want to waste my money.

If you look at promix bx and hp they are the same thing but hp has more perlite making it have higher air porosity. Bx has less perlite making it stay wet longer and have less air porosity. It is up to you, if plants are going to be in area you cant water and you have no water system your only choice is potting mix with no added perlite. A reason I use potting by itself for my further away garden.

I'm not sure what the nutrient profile of mushroom compost is, but the HF has enough nutrients in it already that you don't need to supplement for at least a month. As for drainage, I'm using root pouches so they allow for more air movement than typical pots. So for me, adding more perlite isn't necessary as I already get added porosity from the pots themselves. I cannot attest to drainage/porosity of HF in normal pots. So do like capsicum said and try a pot with HF by itself and a pot with HF + perlite. Then you can tell for yourself if perlite is needed.

I would say the on with perlite would win.

I was making a point that if you add COMPOST then you would see less results provided you gave fertilizer. Perlite would increase porosity as compost would decrease it, the higher the porosity the higher the yield.

Potted all 3 in just HF last night in 2 gallon pots, we'll see how it goes. If it seems like they need more perlite, i'll add it when I re-pot them.

Back