• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How hot is too hot?

Hello all,

I am new to this whole chili growing game but I have recently decided to give it a go.

I am attempting to grow some (2 birdseyes and 2 Dorset Nagas) using Jiffy pellets in a seed propagator with help from a reptile heat pad. The whole setup is on top of a fridge in the shed, the heat pad is mostly for when the temp drops significantly overnight.

I had tried previously without the pad and had poor results, I think it was because the temp was fluctuating so much, dropping to 18c overnight then rising to mid 30s during the day. One morning they were ice cold to the touch.

As today was going to be a hot day, I turned the heat pad off this morning. When I got home at midday and checked them, they were up to 40.3c! I took them off the fridge and put them on the shelf, but would 4-5 hours at this temp damage the seeds? If I don't succeed this time, a proper heated propagator with a thermostat will be the next port of call.

Cheers

I don't think that should have caused any lasting damage. I would try and keep the temperatures down to what they would frequently experience though. I germinated my seeds in December here in a room that is around 10 degrees Celsius on a heat mat and they all germinated fine - actually my best germination rate and percentages had nearly 100% germination rate on Reapers even. If your temperature is 18 degrees Celsius on the low side and 30 on the high side you may not even need to use the germination mat. 

I germinated all my seeds for this season with the same day/night temperature that you describe and after 3-4 weeks I achieved around 90% germination with 20 or so varieties. Including chinense, anuum, baccatum and frutescense.

In the past I have also forgotten seed trays in the sun that were wrapped in plastic wrap and probably reached 50-60 degrees C yet still germinated.

Lower temps won't hurt germination just slow it down. As long as you have the correct moisture levels your temps will be fine.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll be a little more patient and see how things go a little longer with this batch, I waited 30 days before but on reflection that was probably a little premature. I put the pods out in the garden so they might still go.

Judging by your replies I am being too anal about the temperature.

I checked the pods this morning and everything seems OK.

Cheers

Back