• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How is this for pots?

Been thinking about what exactly to put in the bigger pots..

5Wwhg1K.jpg

Any thoughts?

General consensus in most gardening forums is to leave the rocks out since it doesn't seem to improve the drainage of the potting mix above it. That same space can be reserved for more potting mix that the roots will utilize better.

Same goes for top soil, most veterans will say to leave it out of pots. Some will mix a handful into the potting soil though, if it's the right type then it'll add some minerals and sillicates to your mix.

Leaves can't hurt, but don't form a layer that the roots cannot penetrate, maybe grind them up and mix them in for extra humates + beneficial fungus etc. Maybe they would be good at the bottom instead of the rocks?

I always fill my pots close to the top, except for maybe the last inch. More potting soil = more space for roots to stretch out.

I don't have a lot of experience, but I just put soil.

And I don't pack it down too much (nearly not at all). Oxygen is as important for the roots as water or nutrients.

How big are the pots? I have tried a few variations, and I am still trying to hone in my exact "mix", but I can tell you that the rocks are uneccessary and the plant matter is better just mixed in with the soil. I would recommend looking for either an all inclusive mix (sometimes expensive i.e. Fox Farms) or mix your own. I prefer to mix my own, that way I can control exactly what goes into the mix. You can find plenty of grower's personal mixes here by just using the search function, but a basic down and dirty mix would require dirt/topsoil/peat, drainage (pearlite), and food (ferts, oragnic matter like worm castings or mushroom compost, or a combination).

Mix well, and then pot up and monitor/document. If you are newer to it, I would try two different "loads" and see how they work out for you.

I have tried this mix in the past,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGNJ3NAUauk&feature=share&list=UUeHIbwlR7mrtBMhzDjZIn-g

I have idea! How about you insert a bamboo skewers on your soil! Like a decent amount about 15 to 20 skewers per pot?

Thanks for the replies.

Ok, for potting soil, I didn't find anything I liked at Lowes or Home Depot. But I found something I did like at a local nusery for $3 a bag:

8mIyude.jpg

lhr1pzQ.jpg

I'd like to add maybe some worm casting or something but I haven't been able to find any in store.

And as for pot sizes, here is a picture of the bigger ones. I believe they are 5 gallon and 15 gallon but I could be wrong:

ncIUzy4.jpg

Lava rocks? like scoria? if its porous like scoria it will defintly aid in drainage . Have you considered testing for and providing the ideal Ph level for peppers?

Let me repeat it and it has been proven scientifically that adding rocks, etc to the bottom of a pot decreases drainage it does not improve drainage.
Don't believe me? Research it for yourself.

Let me repeat it and it has been proven scientifically that adding rocks, etc to the bottom of a pot decreases drainage it does not improve drainage.
Don't believe me? Research it for yourself.

That's good then because I potted up around 8-9 plants today and decided not to use the rocks. ;)

How big are the pots? I have tried a few variations, and I am still trying to hone in my exact "mix", but I can tell you that the rocks are uneccessary and the plant matter is better just mixed in with the soil. I would recommend looking for either an all inclusive mix (sometimes expensive i.e. Fox Farms) or mix your own. I prefer to mix my own, that way I can control exactly what goes into the mix. You can find plenty of grower's personal mixes here by just using the search function, but a basic down and dirty mix would require dirt/topsoil/peat, drainage (pearlite), and food (ferts, oragnic matter like worm castings or mushroom compost, or a combination).

Mix well, and then pot up and monitor/document. If you are newer to it, I would try two different "loads" and see how they work out for you.

I have tried this mix in the past,

Dont forget dude...Miracle Gro doesn't make a product without their "fertilizer" already in it. Even that Perlite has the stuff. Something to keep in mind for organic growers mixing up soil!

I agree with everyone... but :P

When I use pots I put 1" inch of wood chips at the bottom. Not for drainage but to prevent potting soil from leaking out all over my patio. It just helps keep the soil in the pot, and over time will decompose in to more food for the plant.

I agree with everyone... but :P

When I use pots I put 1" inch of wood chips at the bottom. Not for drainage but to prevent potting soil from leaking out all over my patio. It just helps keep the soil in the pot, and over time will decompose in to more food for the plant.

I cut a piece of screen door material and place it over the drain holes then fill with soil.
It also keeps any creatures from crawling in through the drain holes.

Back