• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long before you throw in the towel?

SavinaRed said:
I have some 6-8 weeks seeds still germinating and sprouting. These all started at the same time.
dont use peat pots.  Theyre too acidic and dry out really quickly.  When you transplant be sure to remove them, I know they say there degradable but it will take forever and girdle the roots in the meantime.

NEVER toss a starter out!
Do start another batch.
I've had seeds covered with mold sprout MONTHS after I gave up on them.
Mother Nature rules,sometimes she messes around and things are different.
I grow in up to 4 1/2 in. pots these days.
Cells suck.
Too much hassle not destroying new starts and not causing damage to the start next to it.
I can add more seeds to a starter pot,IF I think I need too.
Murphies Law,once I put new seeds in a pot,I get several starts from the first seeds sprouting like crab grass.

I give away a LOT of starts!

As far as temp. goes,I think 75 degrees is good for Ann. and Bac. , 80 for most anything else-in general.
Supers/Chin. seem to like 90-95 degrees.

10 days is common for FRESH seeds to germinate,in general.
But as I said,I had seeds grow after MONTHS at times.
Mother Nature Rules.

Topsmoke said:
dont use peat pots.  Theyre too acidic and dry out really quickly.  When you transplant be sure to remove them, I know they say there degradable but it will take forever and girdle the roots in the meantime.
here is what I'm using for seedling soil

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 47
SavinaRed said:
here is what I'm using for seedling soil
in your pic it looks like you have some chlorosis (lack of chlorophyll) could be because of the ph since theyre planted in peat.  Seedlings dont need any food its all there in the endosperm so a neutral soil-less seed starting mix is best and will prevent damping off.

Topsmoke said:
in your pic it looks like you have some chlorosis (lack of chlorophyll) could be because of the ph since theyre planted in peat.  Seedlings dont need any food its all there in the endosperm so a neutral soil-less seed starting mix is best and will prevent damping off.
is there anything I could mix the rest of my bag with that you could recommend to use with starting seeds ?

Hello there!

Maybe I'm incredibly lucky. About a week ago, I germinated seeds from some hot peppers that was sitting in my fridge. I bought them two years ago :rolleyes: . I was astounded by the germination rate and the vigor of the seeds. Take a look:
j5fz9ik.jpg

I've put one of them into peat and perlite. And then, a second one.
ASVXPt1.jpg

I think I'm going to try growing them and give one to my mother.

SavinaRed said:
is there anything I could mix the rest of my bag with that you could recommend to use with starting seeds ?
lime would help balance the ph. You could also dilute it with coir and vermiculite. It may not be a huge issue and the plants might tough it out until repotting,

Topsmoke said:
lime would help balance the ph. You could also dilute it with coir and vermiculite. It may not be a huge issue and the plants might tough it out until repotting,
any ratios that you would recommend. I only have about a gallon left

Back