• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How long do chilli seeds last

One way to save is to put them in a paper envelope and keep it in a cool, dark, dry place. For the long term, freezing would be an option. My method would be to put them in a zip-lock or seal-a-meal; wrap that in foil and freeze. Capsicum seeds do seem to lose viability over time so for long term (2 yrs. or more) freezing is probably the only option.
For me this is a non-issue because seeds are readily available. Cheers.

I saw a chart in a book recently, which showed how long different vegetable seeds were viable for. Most were viable for 4-5 years, including peppers' cousin the tomato, but peppers were listed as 2 yrs. The book also noted that a seed that is theoretically good for 2 yrs may not be "as good" - that is, it may have a lower yield or be sicklier when it is no longer a current year seed.

The one pack of seeds I tried this on are growing like gangbusters - in year 2 they are every bit as good as they were in year 1. Natually, I am going to try to grow them again in year three to see what happens.

Be careful storing seeds in closed, zip-lock type airtight bags. Seeds need a little oxygen.

i've had jalapeno and bell pepper seeds that still germinate pretty ok after 3 years. it was an american brand, paige's seeds. i actually even started growing peppers with those first before i bought seeds online and had discovered thp.

also got beefsteak tomato seeds from the same brand that germinate 80% of the time. those are keepers for me. they were just stored in their original packaging above the microwave stuck on with a thumbtack on a corkboard for 3 years til i got the idea of trying them out.

another good reason to start trading and giving away seeds since they don't really last forever. =D

I successfully started lots of chile seeds this year that were over 10 years old and they were not stored well

i read 10 years if frozen (you have to be 100% they are fully dried, because if they aren't they'll die), and 5 if just refrigerated.

ever since I was a kid, I've kept my seeds in their paper envelopes/mini-zips in a zip-lock back in an index card box in the fridge.

Frozen seeds should last 4 to 5 times longer than unfrozen ones so I'd say they'd last around 40-50+ years, and if you have access to liquid nitrogen, I think that's how the huge seed banks freeze theirs

I'm with Potawie on this one. I've started seeds that were 5-6 years old and were just thrown in the bottom of my fridge in a paper envelope. They last a lot longer than you think. If you're going to freeze them, be certain they are 100% dry.

There was a documentary on the Discovery channel about mummies and they also found some seeds of some kind of plants, they where like thousand years old and when they planted the seed they sprouted, don't know about pepper seeds do.

I heard that if you freeze them and they have just a little moisture in them they will crack, so be sure they have been air dried!!

Yeah. Not all seeds...but some seeds need to be frozen as a form of inoculation. Obviously chilies aren't one of those varieties but do freeze well.

Back