• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long from flowering to ripe peppers?

FITN said:
My jalapenos and pepperocinis are producing but not the fatalli, reapers or the morugas.

Lack of parity between different varieties as far as when they bloom and/or set pods isn't really a concern, and you should in fact expect that reapers will be noticeably slower than jalapenos. That said, what *is* a concern is any time any plant drops flowers for almost a month straight. That just doesn't happen to totally healthy plants. Not saying the issue isn't easily correctable, but I'd say there's definitely an issue of some kind. Could be as simple as airflow, but it's something.

It's a learning experience for sure. Once I get the photo posting figured out, I'll show you what they look like.

FITN said:
It's a learning experience for sure. Once I get the photo posting figured out, I'll show you what they look like.

I'm right there with you. This is my first year with a large number of plants (had like 10 of a couple basic varieties these last couple of years) and I've killed a couple that seemed to be healthy until I got too involved.

I'm curious if the plants in question (dropping the flowers) are maybe all in the same general area? Like maybe they're all getting too much/not enough water, not enough airflow, etc in that one area as opposed to the areas of the healthy plants?

20170707_115631.jpg

Not sure if I did it right with those pictures. I can see them on my laptop but not my phone. All the plants are in the same location, same water/fertilizer, growing medium... same everything.

FITN said:
They sure are. Im trying to figure out how to post photos lol. I'm using Flickr but can't find the image codes needed to post them.
So I just had this same issue. My Tscorpian was flowering (hydro set up so no winter worry) for about 6 weeks. Bumped my.temp up and I just got my first pod.

It's 103 today so I doubt I need higher temps lol. It's been averaging 85 to 90 for awhile, only had triple digits for the last two days.

FITN said:
It's 103 today so I doubt I need higher temps lol. It's been averaging 85 to 90 for awhile, only had triple digits for the last two days.

Okay... well in any case check this out! Might help!

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

There are a few things on that list that might be my issue. Most likely number 11 but who knows. I'll start another thread to let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the advice and my apologies to the OP for hijacking their thread.

I agree with Willard3. Im learning that there are so many factors involved. My first pod was a Baccatum and that took ten weeks. This plant had been outside the whole time that this pod has been set. This is a 7 Pot Caramel (Chinense). This pod only took a little over 5 weeks from set to beginning to ripen.

June 22:
9J7gZ22.jpg

July 31:
NuqBcYQ.jpg

ATM ive harvested a few dozen ripe Citos and about a dozen ripe lemon drops I have around 6 nearly ripe MOAs and about 8 ripe Jalapenos on my Early jalapenos. Neither the Mucho Nacho or Chichimeca have a ripe pod yet but both have lots of green pods.

Oddly my 7 Pot was the first to produce ripe pods and its considered a very late producer.

Since my last post I've had a few pods show up. My fatali has one pod and one of my reapers has two. I have two reaper plants and two moruga plants that have yet to produce a pod. They are all big healthy looking but no pods. It's been 90°+ for awhile now so I wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with it.

Back