• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long how much

What are your opinions of growing in full sun, lasts from sunrise to about 3 pm in the place i'm in. How often should i water, any special tarps i need to set up? Just curious how to maximise my harvest. Thanks :D

Water only when dry! Do not water on a set schedule unless soil is on the dry side. Your harvest will depend on your experience ant plant varieties/ quantities. You should do alright.

It depends on a lot. Temperatures, latitude (sun intensity), water holding capacity of medium, pepper variety, mulch etc.
     I grow in full sun from early morning to late evening with no shade and my plants love it. How much I water depends on if my plants are in beds or containers. Even containers vary considerably based on container size and plant size. My advice would be to just plant them out as you intend to, water as needed (when pots are dry and light) and consider putting up shade cloth if your plants start to wilt during hot, sunny afternoons or you can't keep up on watering.
     Give us some information regarding the variables I mentioned above and we'll have an easier time steering you in the right direction.
     Good luck!

Full sun is a deceiving term. Full sun in Arizona is not the same as full sun in Alaska. Temps have a lot to do with how well your plants will do in full sun. Where I am at (between AZ and AK. I like to have the mid day sun blocked. This year however, I will not be able to do that until less I construct something.

CAPCOM said:
Full sun is a deceiving term. Full sun in Arizona is not the same as full sun in Alaska. Temps have a lot to do with how well your plants will do in full sun. Where I am at (between AZ and AK. I like to have the mid day sun blocked. This year however, I will not be able to do that until less I construct something.

oh yeah, PVC plus shade cloth (20-40%) --- my recommendation. Cheap and super easy to build. Set a few 3ft rebar in the ground and fit the PVC tube over it, done.

my huge TMS while I was constructing the shade cloth. Top of that PVC structure is 7.5 ft tall. Stood up just fine even in the Santa Ana winds (mentioned in posts a long time ago, but that TMS ended up taller than the PVC structure! was with 40% shade cloth).

IMG_20140819_175952_702_zpspfyknkri.jpg

Per this link, your area has an average low of about -6C/20F at the coldest point in the year and an average high of about 27C/80F at the hottest point in the year. Your area also gets a reasonable amount of precipitation throughout the year. In other words, you don't have the grow conditions faced in Arizona nor in Ohio. There are some mountains between the Adriatic Sea and Sarajevo, so it's kind of surprising that you're not in a rain shadow. Orange County, California is at roughly 33.7 degrees North, while Sarajevo is at roughly 43.8 degrees North, so it's further away from the equator than Orange County, so the sun isn't quite as intense in Sarajevo. 

With these things in mind, it is unlikely that you need shade cloth for your plants. Chiles like to have at least 6 hours of full sun each day for decent production. Given your likely grow circumstances, it doesn't sound like they'll suffer at all if they get a true day's worth of full sun each day. That said, if you haven't hardened them off yet, be sure to do that before leaving them out in full sun all day. If you need tips on hardening off, just let us know.

Thanks for the helpful answers, I think I am actually just unnecessarily paranoid because most of my plants are only 4 inches tall. And we all know how impatient growers tend to get :)

mrgrowguy said:

oh yeah, PVC plus shade cloth (20-40%) --- my recommendation. Cheap and super easy to build. Set a few 3ft rebar in the ground and fit the PVC tube over it, done.

my huge TMS while I was constructing the shade cloth. Top of that PVC structure is 7.5 ft tall. Stood up just fine even in the Santa Ana winds (mentioned in posts a long time ago, but that TMS ended up taller than the PVC structure! was with 40% shade cloth).

IMG_20140819_175952_702_zpspfyknkri.jpg
What a beauty.  How old is that plant tree?  

zumajoe said:
What a beauty.  How old is that plant tree?  

She is now deceased, rest her soul. But at the end of the ONE season she was up, she grew a little over 7 feet (from soil level, not ground) wide and tall. 

But to answer your question, it was around 7 months old from germination in that picture, and did not live even a full year when it died. I had to tie up the branches which were curling under the shade cloth towards the end of the season. I harvested hundreds of pods from that one plant. It also lived under a shade cloth its entire life, not to say that natural/direct sun isn't best, but this one was quite prolific under a 75% shade cloth until about 5 ft tall and a 40% until death. The "big" leaves were 8-10 inches long.

I still have the seeds from the same pod I harvested to grow that monster with. I would say I have about 30ish seeds left. Gave a bunch out to local friends and enthusiasts. Share the love and all.

Very good tasting Trinidad Moruga Scorpion. Super hot, I would say hotter than the reapers I grew out and much better flavor. I received the seeds from my computer science professor at IVC who turned out to be an enthusiast, and I made a friend from it. He got the seeds from an expo at the Fullerton Arboretum at CSUF.

Other than FFOF soil (mixed with a lot of perlite), I just gave it Osmicote for ferts, very simple. (I treated it pretty poorly) That is a 15-20 gallon pot.

big pot + good genetics + the right amount of love = big tree in less than 1 year.

Only the TMS got this big though, my reaper was half the size at its biggest point.

Sorry for the full story.

ErolDude said:
JUST 7 months, wow. I am pretty sure I read about this already, but how'd it die?

You probably did. I love how big that one got, and it is a good example for a few things :)

It died because I tried to transplant it into the ground and cut it back (similar to overwintering, though it doesn't get cold enough here in OC to need to overwinter) I was just cutting it back to help it out, but the ground got too moist and it root rotted (heavy clay soil here). And with the lack of leaves, it couldn't recover fast enough. It gave a good effort, but wasn't enough.

I tried to dig a big enough hole, but was limited by sprinkler pipes (which I shielded from roots).

Back