• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long is to long to keep removing blossoms?

Bonnie Poblano

o88oFxs.jpg

RX9d4tB.jpg

solid7 said:

You are not overfeeding them. 

Any reason that you haven't got them out under the sun?
This is the first time I've attempted to grow anything so I'm not familiar with how plants work.  After my first several attempts I was pretty sure any full sun would quickly kill off the transplants.

After your question I tried direct sun again this morning, and they did a lot better than before.  They seem to have gotten stronger than they had been several weeks ago. This is a big step I think. This is a north facing wall.  I am leaving them here where they will get full sun 8:00-11:30am and again 4:30-7:30pm.  This photo is after over an hour of full sun :)

uZgk93H.jpg

solid7 said:
Well, not exactly. It sounds like you have some other issue.

Not sure where you are at... But if you are anywhere from Orlando south, you enjoy the longest growing season in the continental US. And believe me when I tell you, we are just getting started. I usually start another rack of seeds around July. Ok, that might not be what the Farmer's Almanac, or conventional wisdom say to do. I'm just saying that you can.

Right now is peak growth, but please don't worry. YOu haven't started anything too late for Central Florida.

How about we talk about some pictures?
Thanks Solid7 for your encouragement. I didn't think that our growing season was so long here in Central Florida. I thought that the plants would not put on and set new blossoms in the mid summer heat. After reading that you start seeds in July I am thinking about starting a few that I ordered for next season.Do you think that this is needed or worth the Money?

https://www.amazon.com/Start-CK64050-Germination-Station-72-Cell/dp/B000HHO1RO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495560301&sr=8-3&keywords=seed+germination+kit

Looks like it's been discussed some already, but sun in general should be your friend when it comes to pepper plants.  If you're wilting, you probably just need to water more frequently.  Preferably in the evenings when the sun has mostly gone down.  In my experiences, I've had 6 foot tall pepper plants in a furnace basically with many 95+ degree days and they never wilted unless I let the soil get too dry.  My plants actually grew a lot in the really hot weather, the fruit just wouldn't set until it cooled down a bit.  Hopefully you got what you need now to get those pepper plants booming!!  :)

Mike

I mistakenly said that I started these in February.  I received these the last  week of March.

This is March 31st after potting.

xs7sEys.jpg

ZtrEFEV.jpg

mlittle74 said:
Looks like it's been discussed some already, but sun in general should be your friend when it comes to pepper plants.  If you're wilting, you probably just need to water more frequently.  Preferably in the evenings when the sun has mostly gone down.  In my experiences, I've had 6 foot tall pepper plants in a furnace basically with many 95+ degree days and they never wilted unless I let the soil get too dry.  My plants actually grew a lot in the really hot weather, the fruit just wouldn't set until it cooled down a bit.  Hopefully you got what you need now to get those pepper plants booming!!   :)

Mike
Thanks Mike, I am hoping!!

When I started looking for information on growing peppers I found a pretty thorough guide.  At the end it says to always grow in the shade in Florida. So I was thinking Florida sun is bad for them. Maybe "always" is over doing it a little.

GROWING PEPPERS IN FLORIDA IN THE SUMMER? Formerly thought to be impossible, but can be successfully done, with these three changes.
1.) Always grow plants in the shade.
2.) Always feed once a month with bone meal. We use five pound for every 50 plants.
3.) May be best to grow in pots, rather than the ground, so you can move them around to find the best spot in the garden.
And the potting soil for the pots to grow peppers in the summer in Florida, should be a layer-cake, with 1/3 on the bottom a 50:50 mix of perlite Miracle Gro® Orchid Mix. Then for the 2/3rds top part, you make up a 50:50 mix of the Miracle Gro® Organic Choice and their Orchid Mix, with a cup of bone meal and a cup of blood meal mixed in thoroughly for each 12-inch diameter pot.
By using potting soil, making a well-drained mix, and keeping the plants in the shade, you should avoid all the problems of growing peppers in the summer in Florida.
My aunt grows wonderful peppers in summer in Fort Myers in the shade, so you should be able to also.

Back