• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long to leave Scorpion pods on plant?

I have some pods that are totally red now so do I need to pull them or will they be ok on the plant for a while? Is it better to let them sit on the plant ripe or will that kill the heat/flavor?

Chiles quickly lose heat right after full ripeness so if you want all the heat pick just before this stage

POTAWIE .... My Scorpions last year seemed to go red from the top ... down. So for a higher heat level would you pick them with a green tip ? And when you leave them longer do they just lose heat or does they flavor change too ? Get sweeter or anything ?

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I'd probably say to pick it when its almost all orange or red. Ripe peppers have more sugars and flavor but they'll lose flavor and texture(crunchiness turns to mushiness) if left too long

Another excuse to post one of my favorite pics ;)
3450057760_48a88728d0.jpg

That makes sense Potowie. Without a doubt, the long green NuMex chiles taste best, and are hotter when picked in the half green half red stage. We call those pintos.

it does make sense when the fruits are fully ripe that the plants are saying to the birds in the wild "eat me!". pretty much nature's way of saying that the plant is okay with its fruits to get eaten since it is for that purpose. so that the seeds may be spread out in the wild.

=)

Another added bonus to picking peppers just as they ripen is it will encourage the plant to produce more of them.

I'd probably say to pick it when its almost all orange or red. Ripe peppers have more sugars and flavor but they'll lose flavor and texture(crunchiness turns to mushiness) if left too long

Another excuse to post one of my favorite pics ;)
3450057760_48a88728d0.jpg

Wow Potawie, my hats off to you sir, that's an amazing pepper & picture!

I always let my pods stay on the plant for 2-3 days after they turn red. You can pick them earlier if you want to I guess, but the T. Scorpion pods are so hot that I doubt you'll notice any difference in the heat from just eating them.

Alan

I always let my pods stay on the plant for 2-3 days after they turn red. You can pick them earlier if you want to I guess, but the T. Scorpion pods are so hot that I doubt you'll notice any difference in the heat from just eating them.

Alan

Good point. Plus you can always finish ripening on a window sill or in a paper bag.

Back