• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

how long to wait?

I have some seeds that I planted on 10/20/2011 They are old some from 2005 - 2008 mainly c. baccatum and annum my question is how long should I wait for them pop up? Would a month be enough time? Or should I wait longer? What is the longest you have ever had a pepper take to germinate?

Thanks

Macmanmatty

If it's warm and moist, most seeds should germinate within 2 weeks. I don't think I've ever had any seed germinate after more than 30 days - but I do "pre-germinate" all my seeds in perlite, so I can see exactly when they pop. If you're doing it directly in the soil/mixture, then it takes a few days longer for them to show up. I've "heard" of some seeds germinating after more than two months though...

Since they're a bit old, why don't you try soaking them overnight in water (or a weak peroxide solution)

Peroxide is more for disinfection than anything else, it might also help soften the seed coating.

I don't generally use it because seeds germinate just fine without it, but it might be worth a go if there are issues with the seeds and if you expect a longer germination period (more time for fungus and other nasties to develop). :)

Back