• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How many hours of daylight for fruit set?

Just wandering what thoughts and experience you guys have regarding how many hours of sunshine are required for fruit set.

Does the daytime temp make a difference? Example: does a pepper plant need more sunshine on a 20degree C day than it does on a 30degree C day?

I'm mostly interested in c.chinense in which fruit set seems to be elusive in my own experiences to date. I'm thinking my problem is not enough light as they only get 3-4 hours of full sunshine, the rest of the day being shade.

It's normally temp-related. Each type has its own goldilocks temp zone, generally somewhere between 55f at night and 95f during the day.

willard3 said:
Chiles are day neutral, ie, hours of sunlight  do not affect flowering/fruiting.

True. Some plants do flower depending on length of day.

What I'm referring to however, is how much sunshine is required to give peppers the energy they need to be able to produce fruit.. I need to know if the 3-4 hours my plants get is enough. This is important to me because I don't have anywhere else to grow.
MarianneW said:
It's normally temp-related. Each type has its own goldilocks temp zone, generally somewhere between 55f at night and 95f during the day.
That is close to the temps here at the moment and for the last month or so. Hence why I'm a little confused. My plants look great.. nice colour and growth pattern, fast growth, plenty of flowers, they are in a great soil mix they seem to love. It's like everything is just right but then the flowers fall off anyway. Hours of sunshine is my last resort I think but want to confirm with more experienced growers.

"Fast growth..." Makes me wonder--have you given them lots of fertilizer? If they get too much, the react by growing very fast and large but suffer from blossom drop.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

I have had plants bud with only 2 or 3 hours of direct sunlight . But only when the temps are right . Between 70 and 90 degrees for me in sunny Florida . 

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
temps here varying between 75-85
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
temps here varying between 55-65
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
fertilize once a week rotating between seasol, fish (both normally 1/2 strength) and full strength chilli focus. There's also chook/cow manure 13% in my pot mix and a few pellets of dynamic lifter on top.
4. Too much water
water once a day with around 100-150ml of water. Soil mix stays moist but drains very well so never goes soggy.
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
3-4 hours full sun then bright shade rest of the day
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
humidity is low but not extremely
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
it is quite breezy down the side of the house where they are kept..
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
definitely, I've put marigolds down there to attract more this year
9. Size of pot
half my plants are in 3.2gal and the others are in 5.3gal
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
may need to look into!!
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.
I water in the mornings and walk away, I did this way too much last year!

Thanks Romy6 that's good to know :)

Also let me be clear its c.chinense I'm having issues with here.. My c.anuums fruit like crazy in the same conditions. I will find out in the next few weeks if c.baccatum and c.frutecense have any fruit setting issues.

This is my soil mix in case it helps. I'm very happy with it so far:
46% coco coir
23% potting mix
18% perlite
13% manure
5% sand

This mix is light and full of air but retains moister and is well drained. The plants have grown quickly but I wouldn't say over the top, they look natural and healthy and are covered in buds everywhere.

I thought I had it right this year but but must be doing something wrong!

Back