• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

how many hours under 600watts?

I have had lots of different peppers on my deck in pots all summer ( cayenne, jalapeno, scorpion, sweet cherry red and some cool ornamentals ). Most of them i want to keep all winter so i can get them off to a good start next summer. I have read about over wintering but i do not want to cut my plants in half and i actually would rather they keep producing over winter for me. I bought a 600watt halide to grow them under in my basement. My sweet cherry reds have been ripining faster in 3 weeks then they ever have outside. However the leaves are a lot softer in feel and are more of a lighter green color rather then a thick strong green leaf. At first they werent doing good at all and just drooping even when they had water so i took the light from 100% to 60% (phantom ballast) and they seem to be doing a little better. The only thing i can think of is even at 60% they may be getting too many hours of direct light. On my deck they would get about 6 hours direct light every day, i have my 600watt lighting them up for 12 hours a day. I thought 12/12 would be a good combination to keep them growing fast but maybe thats too much direct light in one day?

I grow mine under 16 hours on 8 hours on but they're only just flowering, chillies are day neutral so more hours the better (Assuming at least 4-6 hours dark to maintain proper circadian rythums.

Thanks for the reply. Im glad to know i could add some day light time. Ill try adding more fan and moving the light up a little. It is currently about 2ft above the canopy which i thought was plenty for the most light with out burning.
Also the bulb is a year old, not sure if that could cause a problem if its losing some of the color spectrum or not. I plan to replace that anyways so maybe that will help getting some fresh light on it. I have seen people grow big plants under T5s so figured 600watt bulb should do fine for now even if its old.
Also the bulb is a year old, not sure if that could cause a problem if its losing some of the color spectrum or not. I plan to replace that anyways so maybe that will help getting some fresh light on it. I have seen people grow big plants under T5s so figured 600watt bulb should do fine for now even if its old.

I'm getting very healthy growth under either MH or HPS but I find my plants grow considerably more rapidly under HPS (Watt for watt).

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/50475-vertical-chilli-grow-indoors-600w-mhhps-lighting/

I did grow from plug plants, I've taken clones from a scorpion recently if I have any spare after I pot up I could post you a few, I'm in the UK i don't think hamburg would be an issue, I also probably got a spare couple of plants kicking round (Ring of fire, Scotch Bonnet & a bird's eye).

I'm resetting my grow 100% scorpions and donating my current plants as I want lots of scorpions :)

plantsonfire said:
I would love to collect a few more varities if i could get a hold of some :-) I'm in hamburg MI by the way. That would be a pretty long way to ship a colone wouldnt it?

That might be a little far ha ha ha, I thought you were in Germany I can investigate the possibility though my friends have shipped clones from the states before and they survived.

Back