• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies How many people are gamers?

EliteMcScruffin said:
PES 2014 on PS3 and FIFA 14 on PS4.  I got FIFA 13 on PS3 though!
I keep hearing about Pro Evolution Soccer from other gamers.  How is it compared to FIFA?

Also, how is FIFA 13?  From what I've read, it sounds like the controls are extremely similar to 14.  With how much I've enjoyed FIFA 14, I'm half tempted to buy it, and I'm also thinking about picking up used copies of 08-12, Street, and the World Cup games at some point too.  I want to see just how much that franchise has evolved over the years.

JuanHubero said:
I keep hearing about Pro Evolution Soccer from other gamers.  How is it compared to FIFA?

Also, how is FIFA 13?  From what I've read, it sounds like the controls are extremely similar to 14.  With how much I've enjoyed FIFA 14, I'm half tempted to buy it, and I'm also thinking about picking up used copies of 08-12, Street, and the World Cup games at some point too.  I want to see just how much that franchise has evolved over the years.

FIFA > PES in my opinion.  PES has a pretty high learning curve which can turn a lot of gamers off.  I originally started out playing PES about 8 years ago and moved to FIFA about 4 years ago.  FIFA just looks and... I dunno... feels so much better to me.  For every hour I have put in to PES, I have put 15 in to FIFA if that helps.

FIFA 13 is very similar to FIFA 14 and not worth spending any money on.  There are a lot of subtle differences between 13 and 14 that make 14 that much more fun and fluid to play.  The biggest difference for me was going from 12 to 13.  They felt very different and the passing/ball control improved by quite a bit.

Gotta say I am 100% not a fan of Street.  I tried it for 2 years and just couldn't find myself enjoying it.  Would play for 20 minutes and then find myself back on FIFA or PES.
Nova said:
Titanfall you say, is that available on PS3?

Bringing up Titanfall and PS3/PS4 in the same thread is almost guaranteed to create some trolling if enough gamers gather.  For some reason I haven't felt compelled to pick up Titanfall and try it out though it seems fun enough.  Might be because of the ridiculous number of games I'm working on at the same time... just added another 2 Vita games to the list in the last 24 hours.

EliteMcScruffin said:
FIFA > PES in my opinion.  PES has a pretty high learning curve which can turn a lot of gamers off.  I originally started out playing PES about 8 years ago and moved to FIFA about 4 years ago.  FIFA just looks and... I dunno... feels so much better to me.  For every hour I have put in to PES, I have put 15 in to FIFA if that helps.

FIFA 13 is very similar to FIFA 14 and not worth spending any money on.  There are a lot of subtle differences between 13 and 14 that make 14 that much more fun and fluid to play.  The biggest difference for me was going from 12 to 13.  They felt very different and the passing/ball control improved by quite a bit.

Gotta say I am 100% not a fan of Street.  I tried it for 2 years and just couldn't find myself enjoying it.  Would play for 20 minutes and then find myself back on FIFA or PES.

And here I thought playing FIFA 14 on fully manual had quite the learning curve.  If PES is harder, then I don't think I will even bother with it.  Getting to the point that I can pass/shoot in the 80-90% range without any computer assistance in FIFA was difficult enough.  LOL.

I'll take your advice on FIFA 13.  I'm sure I'll still pick it up at some point in the future, most likely after 15 comes out and the price on 13 drops a bit.  But with how cheap used copies of 08-12 are, I could pick up all 5 titles for under $30.  Hell, I might even try to do that here soon, just so I have a bunch more games to play during the fall/winter months.

BTW, what modes in FIFA 14 do you play?  I'm pretty big on Ultimate Team, personally.  I have a team full of gold players, and I'm currently working my way through the ranks.  I'm Div. 5 right now, about to reach Div. 4.

JuanHubero said:

And here I thought playing FIFA 14 on fully manual had quite the learning curve.  If PES is harder, then I don't think I will even bother with it.  Getting to the point that I can pass/shoot in the 80-90% range without any computer assistance in FIFA was difficult enough.  LOL.

I'll take your advice on FIFA 13.  I'm sure I'll still pick it up at some point in the future, most likely after 15 comes out and the price on 13 drops a bit.  But with how cheap used copies of 08-12 are, I could pick up all 5 titles for under $30.  Hell, I might even try to do that here soon, just so I have a bunch more games to play during the fall/winter months.

BTW, what modes in FIFA 14 do you play?  I'm pretty big on Ultimate Team, personally.  I have a team full of gold players, and I'm currently working my way through the ranks.  I'm Div. 5 right now, about to reach Div. 4.

It took me a few days before I could reliably start to be on goal with shots in PES, much less accurate shots on goal.  Honestly I'm not sure if that's because FIFA took over my life or if I just sucked at getting used to the control scheme.  Gotta say though, the knuckle shots in PES are my favorite in any soccer game.  I wish you could do it in FIFA in open play and not just on free kicks!

How are you doing in the skill games on FIFA 14?  I have practiced my butt off on those drills to get better and more precise with passing and shooting and it definitely helped.  For the life of me I cannot get past the silver lob pass challenge!  I've gotten so close only to flub my last two balls and not advance.  Literally have spent hours on that freaking challenge!

FUT is something that is the very first game feature ever for me to spend actual money to buy something like packs.  I play it pretty heavily but remember a while back I was trying to get a certain handful of players and spent $15-20 on points for packs in about 10 minutes and had to put a stop to that.  That's money down the drain in the purest form!  Now I just use points to get the currency bonuses for each match played.  I do always love career mode though.  Last few years I've gone a couple of decades in (played every game, no simulations) before the next version releases.  I meant to do a player career mode this year but somehow completely forgot so I'm just focused on the skill games, manager career, and FUT.

EliteMcScruffin said:
How are you doing in the skill games on FIFA 14?  I have practiced my butt off on those drills to get better and more precise with passing and shooting and it definitely helped.  For the life of me I cannot get past the silver lob pass challenge!  I've gotten so close only to flub my last two balls and not advance.  Literally have spent hours on that freaking challenge!

FUT is something that is the very first game feature ever for me to spend actual money to buy something like packs.  I play it pretty heavily but remember a while back I was trying to get a certain handful of players and spent $15-20 on points for packs in about 10 minutes and had to put a stop to that.  That's money down the drain in the purest form!  Now I just use points to get the currency bonuses for each match played.  I do always love career mode though.  Last few years I've gone a couple of decades in (played every game, no simulations) before the next version releases.  I meant to do a player career mode this year but somehow completely forgot so I'm just focused on the skill games, manager career, and FUT.

I've completed about 2/3 of the skill games in FIFA 14, but haven't really tried to complete the rest of them in a little while now.  Since I'm a lot more proficient with the game these days, I think I might give it a shot here soon.  I'm pretty sure I can now tackle the drills that were impossible for me before.

As for FUT, it has taken a lot of self control to keep myself from buying points in order to build up a better team more quickly.  I kinda see that as cheating, which is why I haven't done it thus far.  Plus, I find it much more rewarding knowing that I built my squad up from scratch, even if my team isn't as stacked as other squads I've seen.

For FIFA 15, however, I'm definitely buying the Ultimate Team Edition.  It includes 40 bonus gold packs spread out over 40 weeks, which will really help me to build up a monster squad.  I just hope I can get my hands on a Messi at some point, because he really is my favorite player in that game, without a doubt.  Whenever I'm playing Kick Off with FC Barcelona or the Argentinian national team, he scores about 3/4 of all goals.

I had a discount coupon from Gamestop, so I caved in and picked up a copy of FIFA 13... And I have to say that I might like the controls in 13 more than 14.

I use to be but nowadays i only play very old games. I tried final fantasy 11 and wow, and liked them, but to be as good at them as i wanted would have required playing hours at a time, and i cant do that.. i like to play for an hour or so then quit, maybe come back again an hour later.

I did play a online multiplayer shooter spaceship game for over 10 years tho.. its kinda like asteroids but multiplayer. its an amazing game but unfortunately its not that popular anymore because the graphics are so dated.. But nothing like playing a shooter game where you can literally see the bullets coming at you, and you are expected to dodge them.

here is a vid of the game(Watch in fullscreen, much easier to tell whats going on)
its incredibly fun and dynamic, there are basing games(capture the flag style) elimination games, 5v5, freefor alls with hundreds of people at once, even awesome racing games.. Heck there is also a hockey game that is super fun and should be a game all to itself.. way better than any real hockey game i ever played. its a shame people wont give it a chance cause the graphics suck.. its also incredibly hard because most of the people playing it have been for 10-15 years..

I've been looking to do an upgrade of my current gaming system as it's a few years old and it's only just starting to struggle with the latest generation of games!!

After a month or 2 of research this is the system I'm looking at.

System Components:

I'm planning on getting a 27 inch 144Hz refresh, 1 millisecond response Monitor for gaming and a 27 inch touch screen for everyday use to match the new windows 8.1.

I already have a razor gaming mouse and keyboard and I'll be setting up a 7.1 surround sound system for games as well :D

The whole set up (not Including stereo) will set me back around $6000 at a rough guess but it will kick arse for many years to come!!

Again this is just for gaming and some general use. I have a 12TB remote access server set up that feeds all the TV's and music systems around the house along with being connected to the security system for digital video recording via the many surveillance cameras I have set up (cause I send large amounts of time away from home). When the system activates, I get an alert on my phone and I dial in and see my live footage which is also being recorded!! 

Yes I like my gadgets :)

I want that system. Get windows 7 though, win8 has some issues.
Edit: Titan has bad driver also. Use Titan Z or GeForce 680/780
Edit 2: And You'll want a different hard drive. SSD is faster, but it really doesn't matter when you could get a 1tb normal one. 250 gigs fills up pretty quickly.

queequeg152 said:
2 titans? are you serious?

Yep :) I would have 2 Titan Z's if I could afford them.... Just because!!

cruzzfish said:
I want that system. Get windows 7 though, win8 has some issues.
Edit: Titan has bad driver also. Use Titan Z or GeForce 680/780
Edit 2: And You'll want a different hard drive. SSD is faster, but it really doesn't matter when you could get a 1tb normal one. 250 gigs fills up pretty quickly.
Yeah I've been doing some reading and the general thought is the Titan driver issues are going to be fix soon and I wouldn't be doing anything till I know it's sorted!! In regards to the SSD I'm only planning on having the operating system and a few games at a time on it but I agree with you about them filling up quick and I'm still unsure if I'll go to a bigger SSD.. I will definitely be keeping the SSD as I think they are invaluable in a gaming rig!!

Verivus said:
Personally I think that setup is way overkill... but heck, if you have that kind of money to throw then why not.
Oh I know it's overkill and that's exactly why I'm building the rig like this.... You know what they say "if you have the ability, you have the responsibility".......

Back