• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How Many Plants under a 400W/1000W light

Hey,
I finishing up my basement set-up and I'm trying to determine how many plants I can fit down stairs. currently the plan is to start the seedlings in a closet set-up which it 20" x 4' with 8 x 40W floro's (4 x Cool White, 4 x Plant Ones.. purplish colour)... I plan on keeping the plants in here until they need to be moved to there final pots. Once they are in 3/5G pots I plan on putting the under a 400W MH Bulb until they start flowering which then I would switch to a 400W HPS. Once they get Larger I can move to a 1000W HPS if needed.

Now the question is how many plants can I keep under a 400W bulb?
If I plan on using a 1000W bulb how many could I get then?

From what I read you get a 4x4 area with a 400W and a 6x6 area with a 1000W. I just don't know how many plants I can get into it.

Thanks,

--James

i have about 18 under 2 400 hps and i'm running red spectrum for flowering. I had too many plants under a 400 w metal halide that runs on a light rail.
Here's a link to my grow log.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/31738-jedisuhi06s-indoor-grow-log-video-1/

Probably going to depend on the varieties you are going to want to grow as well. If you pack them together tightly just make sure you have good ventilation. Indoors + plants too close + too much moisture = disease.

i have about 18 under 2 400 hps and i'm running red spectrum for flowering. I had too many plants under a 400 w metal halide that runs on a light rail.
Here's a link to my grow log.
http://thehotpepper....ow-log-video-1/

very nice set-up you have there.. gives me a idea on what 9 plants under a 400W light will look like. I think if I keep the plants trimmed and keep each plan1 in a 18" x 18" area I could fit 9. Worst comes to worst I guess I could always boot up the 1000W but i think that would over kill for 9 plants.

Probably going to depend on the varieties you are going to want to grow as well. If you pack them together tightly just make sure you have good ventilation. Indoors + plants too close + too much moisture = disease.

I plan on mostly super hots (Bucth T, Morguna, Pot 7's, Bhuts) and some wilds... The vent. will not be an issue since its an open room with a circ. fan.

Assuming you don't have a light mover, best not to go larger than 16 square feet with a 400W or 40 square feet with a 1,000W.

Rule of thumb is minimum 25 watts of lighting per square foot.

Back