• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer How much fertilizer?

I am using Dynagrow at slightly higher than recommended rates.  Why because my watering can is 2 gallons and pouring a gallon container of ferts into a teaspoon sucks.  I just use a tablespoon per 2 gallons.  I also mix in the recommended rate of fish emulsion to the same can, 4 tbsp per 2 gallons.  I have only been applying once a week so I don't think this added dose is over doing it.  If anything I think I am under fertilizing.

My question is, how much of my mix should I be applying per plant.  Right now I give my smaller plants a 3-5 second sprinkle and my larger ones a 7-10 second.  This equates to 4 gallons of mix for 41 plants, plus a quick run over of about 30 solos. 

With my math that is about 0.095 gallons per plant or 1.5 cups.

Does this seem about right?  Should I up my dose to 2x a week?

How big are your containers? I aim to water each plant enough that the soil is thoroughly wetted and some water runs out the bottom holes of each container. Do not be fooled by water running down the sides of the pot early on. I know the weight of each container when dry (almost nothing) and compare that to after watering. Will be much much heavier. Even the 15 gallon pot lifts easily enough when dried out. My lemon drops in 5 gallon buckets dry out in about 3 days down here in Tampa. I wait until the plants are droopy. Thought I lost one of them and a few seedlings last week when temperatures spiked to the mid 90s, but a water brought them right back.

Should I be fertilizing all the way to saturation?  If so I will need to be putting down quite a bit more.  Especially seeing that a portion of my ferts gets foliar fed. 

I irrigate for watering, and my plants get a good amount of water. That is not the question. I am strictly questioning my fertilizing methods. 

To answer your question though I have the following:

22 in ground including 3 tomatoes
12 in wally bags, so about 7 gallons
6 in 3 gallon pots
1 in a 30 gallon pot

Just a side note. I pour my bottled ferts into a measuring cup, and scoop out what I need with a spoon. Pour remainig fert back into bottle. Zero waste.

By the way, what makes you think you're under fertilizing?

Scuba_Steve said:
Should I be fertilizing all the way to saturation?

Yes. And for the ones in containers wait until the top of the potting soil just starts to pull away from the sides.

Heckle said:

Yes. And for the ones in containers wait until the top of the potting soil just starts to pull away from the sides.

So I tested one of my wally bags to see how much water it would take before it started seeping out.  5 cups held, the 6th started draining.

So with my 41 plants at 6 cups each, I should be putting down over 15 gallons of fertilizer each and every time I feed?

Just seems like a lot.

Again for clarification, I am not talking about my watering regime, I am strictly talking about fertilizer mix.

IMO, fertilizing potted plants with liquid fertilizer can be tough. The organic matter in the soil *should* bind some of it for later use, but most will get leached out if you water until it starts coming out of the bottom.

When I grow in pots, i like to use liquid fertilizer at a different time than the normal watering schedule, and only flush out the pots occasionally. So I would water until holding capacity, and then the next day apply the diluted fertilizer to the still moist soil. Ideally nothing would come out of the bottom so that it stays in the root zone long enough for the plant to make use of it.

nastafarian said:
IMO, fertilizing potted plants with liquid fertilizer can be tough. The organic matter in the soil *should* bind some of it for later use, but most will get leached out if you water until it starts coming out of the bottom.

When I grow in pots, i like to use liquid fertilizer at a different time than the normal watering schedule, and only flush out the pots occasionally. So I would water until holding capacity, and then the next day apply the diluted fertilizer to the still moist soil. Ideally nothing would come out of the bottom so that it stays in the root zone long enough for the plant to make use of it.

I used to water the same way.

Try it the way I mentioned.

I use an eye dropper that fits 5ml which I bought at CVS, when I make only 1-5 gallons. Very easy to measure 1 tbsp (~5ml) out, only takes a few seconds.

I wouldn't want to try pouring a large jug to a spoon either.

Turkey baster for larger applications or clean up of excess run-off.

Back