• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun How much sunlight is required?

I have recently been told by my super that I can't grow my peppers on the east side of our building (which is right out front of my window and is on the ground level) it gets the morning to noon sun.

However he said that the south west side of the building is fair game, however that would only get from noon till maybe 4 or 5?

If worst comes to worst I will just grow them at my parents place, but I wanted to know if 4-5 hours of sun would be ok.

Go to your parents! Why chance it dude?!?! Hell after all the time and money you've spent in it. I'd like to see you get some pepps this year!

Ya I might just do that. I think I can get away with putting them on the east side, my super is a bit all over the place so he may just forget about it :P

Honestly, the plants I've grown on my balcony with sun from 2 to about 5 are better off than the plants grown at work with morning sun up to about 2 pm.... I suspect it has more to do with other factors than just the sun, limited wind, rain and pests and the balcony tends to retain some of the warmth throughout the night....

East facing will not produce strong stemmed plants, although the main issue will be pod production and ripening. Plant Southwest...

I don't mean to be a downer, but personally, if I were in Toronto and had this limitation I wouldn't bother to grow anything but early fruiting C. annuums, unless you got quite an early start and already have plants over 8" tall.

My point is yes you can get them to grow, but growth will be a lot slower and yield as well. You'll have much of the expense and time spent for only a small yield.

On the other hand, have you grown peppers on the east side where there is morning to noon sun? I wouldn't expect them to do very well there either in Toronto.

Did you explain to the super that they'd be beautiful ornamental plants which enhance the landscape rather than looking like a small time farming project? :P

What if you grow some plants there anyway, worst that can happen is they get mowed over? Grow some both on the SW side and at your parents' place, that way the low yield is offset by a greater # of plants.

Well I do have a place where it will get from 10am to 7 of direct sunlight, I may just put them there and not bother with the super.
Like I said he is a bit loopy and well lazy so even if I had them there he wouldn't bother with them.
Plus he likes me I will just have to talk him into it.

I did start the plants early in Jan and they are about 6-7" now. So hopefully they do well.

I made the mistake last year of not starting the plants until now, and with almost a 4 month difference it should make a big impact

I get decent pod production on my balcony that gets a few hours of direct west sunlight a day, blocked about half of the time by buildings and trees. I'm in Southern California so the sun is a lot more intense, but I think you should be good. Maybe put some at your building and some at your parent's house, see which ones do best.

Back