• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How old can peppers live for ?

Hi all,

I was wondering how old can peppers live for ? (5 years ? 10 years ? 20 years ?)

I plan to keep mine as long as I can, so just wondering how long we will walk together on the life path.

Who got the oldest pepper on THP ? :D Post pics ! :p

Good question PHB! Even though I have never fully overwintered plants I know the answer to this
It just really depends on how well the plants have been cared for. For example: A healthy plant that has been very well cared for, can live 3-10yrs or even longer, depending on if they get attacked by pests or not. Where as a not so well taken care of plant will not last more than a few yrs most likely. You also have to factor in what variety of plant you are growing and diseases/virus/infection it may or may not get

Reactions: PHB
Thanks for the answer ! :) Hope mine will live over 10 years ! :)

By the way, talking about diseases, virus, bugs, etc. I got a question a little off topic :

The effect of climate on the Scoville rating of Bhut Jolokia peppers is dramatic. A 2005 study comparing percentage availability of capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin in Bhut Jolokia peppers grown in Tezpur (Assam) and Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh), India showed that the heat of the pepper is decreased by over 50% in Gwalior's more arid climate.[18] Elsewhere in India, scientists at Manipur University measured Bhut Jolokia's average Scoville rating by HPLC at only 329,100 SHU.[15]
(Wikipedia En)

I don't know if SHU is bound by climate, bugs or both, but I was wondering if that's possible to increase Capsaicin by introducing bugs into peppers environment ? I've read somewhere that when peppers are attacked by bugs they produce more Capsaicin. Is that true ?

I dont know if its true for sure. It makes sense that it would be true, since plant stress makes peppers hotter. Another thing to think about is that pests greatly affect the health of the plant as well. Some pests being more severe than others. I would assume that pests would also lower the yields of the plants as well. Ask yourself ..
Would it be worth it?

My advice. Just let the plants be and keep your plants from getting pests. They make pest killers for a reason! ;)

Thanks for your reply Megahot. :)

I was just wondering, I don't seriously plan to introduce bugs in my flat :s

Ask me in a few years.

Right now I have a two jalapenos and a habanero that are on their second season and doing fine. I plan on bringing in a brainstrain, buht, and a moruga inside this fall. I don't plan on doing the traditional over wintering where the plants go dormant, but I'll be trimming them back, changing the soil  and putting them near a window for the winter. I fully expect to get 3-5 years from the chinense.

The variety makes a difference, too. Pubescens can live 15-16 years. Over and above lifespan, though, is production span. A number of people say that they've noticed production in many varieties goes down after the 2nd or 3rd year. My oldest plants are only in their 3rd year, so I'll be watching this. Past research I've done indicates pubescens not only live the longest, but also produce the longest. So yes, your growing conditions will impact the lifespan, but variety makes a difference, too. Most people who grow peppers do so for production rather than ornamental purposes, so don't keep plants after production consistently drops off. You'll have to decide on your own about your plants.

like people above have said it depends on the plants and how you care for them, i bet if you fertilize properly and give them what they want they will live decades, ive heard of people having habaneros for 15+ years and i think the longest average life span is from chiltepin, they can get up to like 30-40 years old

I have a Thai chili plant that is in its second year. It has never stopped flowering, it even kept flowering through winter.

Back