• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Looks good mate! Really healthy looking plants. What's with these grubs? Do you know what they are? I'm getting little holes in my pods, bust em open and find a maggot looking little f**ker pooping all over the place . I'm interested in the varieties you have. Do you wana trade some seeds? I have shit loads of different seeds.
I dont know what they are! I've captured a few grubs and they have spun a web and I'm waiting to see what they turn into. Other than cabbage moths I've seen only one other moth...its a small white looking thing more of a sleaker hornet looking thing compared to the cabbage moths. I'm guessing thats it. when you crack open a pod is it a redish colour?? these things also eat tomatos! I've been spraying natural type stuff to stop them but all that stuff seems to be aimed more towards leaf eating grubs/catapilars. I think these moths just lay the eggs on the chili and then they burrow into the chili as they hatch. They seem a little hard to stop. since everything is loaded with pods I wont really want to get into any real chemicals.
I dont have a ton of seeds left from my original stock but I'll have more seeds as chilies ripen. I'm happy to send you whatever you want.
this is what I have
Trinidad Scorpion
Brain Strain 7 pod
Ghost Pepper
Habanaro
Jamacan Hot Yellow
Jamacan Hot Red
Red Rocoto
Aji Limon
Aji Panca
Jalapeno
I also have Moruga but I'm not sure about the condition of the seeds...they ended up with grubs in them. The plant is doing well now so I'll be sprouting more pods soon.
Nice pics David :) I couldn't get Aji Panca to sprout from a ton of seeds, good to see you have pods. Want to see what they end up like.

I can send you some seeds from my plant if you like. Some are ripening now. Hopefully I can get a few past the grubs. I get worried everytime I see a pod ripening now, because half the time they are ripening prematurely because of those grubs

I can send you some seeds from my plant if you like. Some are ripening now. Hopefully I can get a few past the grubs. I get worried everytime I see a pod ripening now, because half the time they are ripening prematurely because of those grubs
Dude that'd be great. I have hundred of varieties to trade so is there anything you are after?

I know exactly what you mean! I've started picking pods when they start to ripen in the hope I can get it before the bugs do, and if it has a bug in it I can kill it before it makes more!

The pepper maggots' adult form is a fly. But the stuff I read about them say the maggot is yellow and the mature ones I've been finding are red. Don't know if its the same thing.

I dont know what they are! I've captured a few grubs and they have spun a web and I'm waiting to see what they turn into. Other than cabbage moths I've seen only one other moth...its a small white looking thing more of a sleaker hornet looking thing compared to the cabbage moths. I'm guessing thats it. when you crack open a pod is it a redish colour?? these things also eat tomatos! I've been spraying natural type stuff to stop them but all that stuff seems to be aimed more towards leaf eating grubs/catapilars. I think these moths just lay the eggs on the chili and then they burrow into the chili as they hatch. They seem a little hard to stop. since everything is loaded with pods I wont really want to get into any real chemicals.
I dont have a ton of seeds left from my original stock but I'll have more seeds as chilies ripen. I'm happy to send you whatever you want.
this is what I have
Trinidad Scorpion
Brain Strain 7 pod
Ghost Pepper
Habanaro
Jamacan Hot Yellow
Jamacan Hot Red
Red Rocoto
Aji Limon
Aji Panca
Jalapeno
I also have Moruga but I'm not sure about the condition of the seeds...they ended up with grubs in them. The plant is doing well now so I'll be sprouting more pods soon.

hey David. The grubs are red with a web in the pod. They also mung my tomatoes. Sounds like we have the same little f**kers! I have Trin Scorp and Moruga. I would be keen on all the rest. I'll send you a PM with my addy and what seeds I have. Just let me know what you want. Cheers, Luke

Dude that'd be great. I have hundred of varieties to trade so is there anything you are after?

I know exactly what you mean! I've started picking pods when they start to ripen in the hope I can get it before the bugs do, and if it has a bug in it I can kill it before it makes more!

The pepper maggots' adult form is a fly. But the stuff I read about them say the maggot is yellow and the mature ones I've been finding are red. Don't know if its the same thing.
I also saw pepper maggot in my search but that didnt seem to fit the description, I couldn't find anything on the internet that looked like these grubs.
I'm not sure that I'm after anything in particular? I've been using my trinidad scorpions in my kangaroo mince jerky so I guess I'm after something about as hot with nice flavour. I'm not too fussed though you dont have to send anything
hey David. The grubs are red with a web in the pod. They also mung my tomatoes. Sounds like we have the same little f**kers! I have Trin Scorp and Moruga. I would be keen on all the rest. I'll send you a PM with my addy and what seeds I have. Just let me know what you want. Cheers, Luke
no worries, good stuff

These are the moths I keep seeing hanging around my chili plants! I suspect these are the source of my grubs!
P1030661_zps59a86b74.jpg

P1030659_zps204e26a2.jpg

A big shout out to the THPer's that have generously helped out a newbie with seeds, much appreciated, Hope we might be able to catch up for a beer at the freo chilli fest

I just saw one of those moths and squashed the f**ker! They must be the grubs. God damn it I've seen those moths so many times and thought they were harmless. f**k this I'm getting some chemicals and bombing the shit outa my plants. Pyrethrum is organic right?

That poor sod needs a drink kev u should get him some shade too we are in for a hot week

I haven't seen any moths hanging around my plants at all. and the pods with maggots are deep in the tangle of jungle. There are always a few small fly things buzzing around.

I just saw one of those moths and squashed the f**ker! They must be the grubs. God damn it I've seen those moths so many times and thought they were harmless. f**k this I'm getting some chemicals and bombing the shit outa my plants. Pyrethrum is organic right?
I've been using
natures-way-caterpillar-killer-dipel.jpg

and

867421.jpg

and I dont really think they are doing anything

I think the dipel is for leaf eating caterpillars that are laid by those white moths. I haven't had any around my garden for a month or two.

I got a better haul today than I thought I would! Its hard to know if the stuff I've been using is working, because I dont know how long they have been inside the chilies already.
P1030667_zpsf718c2b5.jpg

The losses...not great...I probably could cut out the good flesh but I'm not going to bother.
P1030665_zps57e41cae.jpg

These are the moths I keep seeing hanging around my chili plants! I suspect these are the source of my grubs!
P1030661_zps59a86b74.jpg

P1030659_zps204e26a2.jpg

I reckon thems will be the culprits for sure.

http://www.yates.com.au/problem-solver/problems/codling-moth/

Don't think it's a codling moth (codling moths are banded) but the larvae look very similar.

I reckon thems will be the culprits for sure.

http://www.yates.com...s/codling-moth/

Don't think it's a codling moth (codling moths are banded) but the larvae look very similar.

Those grubs look almost exactly like what I've got. The only difference I can see is maybe my grubs are a bit shorter and fatter.
Even if its not the right grub...which I think it actually is that yates stuff looks like it would kill that kind of grub and anything else like it. I'm a little worried about using it though 7 day wait after spraying before you can harvest. Lots of my stuff is ripening right now. Must be pretty harsh stuff?

Back