How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

40 on Saturday is OK as I'll be home to nurse them if needed.  As most are in pots I can move them, water them etc. as needed.  While at work I rely on the wife, but its often too late by the time she realises they are struggling... she does her best though and indulges my pestering her to check on them, so I cant complain really.

I also added dolomite lime 2 days back, so I hope that does a little to ease the yellowing. 

My pots are losing a lot of lower leaves in the last week. One of my purple habs, otherwise appearing healthy, has for, for whatever reason, lost most of the leaves along one of the main branches and the small bits of regrowth got scorched by the wind the other day :(

I always hate it after a really windy day. My plants look like crap and take a few days to come back. It's also very hard after seeing friends' plants up in Perth that aren't forced to live on a coastal balcony and how much better the leaves look, larger the plants are etc. Still, I do what I can.

nemspy said:
My pots are losing a lot of lower leaves in the last week. One of my purple habs, otherwise appearing healthy, has for, for whatever reason, lost most of the leaves along one of the main branches and the small bits of regrowth got scorched by the wind the other day :(

I always hate it after a really windy day. My plants look like crap and take a few days to come back. It's also very hard after seeing friends' plants up in Perth that aren't forced to live on a coastal balcony and how much better the leaves look, larger the plants are etc. Still, I do what I can.

Bummer there Mike. Quite a few of mine have gone like that but it was from when I was away and geared up for a hot one.
The plants got overwatered and are now dropping alot of leaves. I just hope some of the Chilli hold on!

Hey has anyone managed to get Debco Organic mix from Bunnings?
I had a look and their website says they carry it for only $9.50 per 30lt bag! I have tried a few stores but have not found any.

Micca

No probs. The Bunnings in Cannington used to sell it but not any more.
Just pretty cheap at $9.50 a bag.
Probably off to Masters in the next day or two.....................

Micca

Burmese Naga has finally hung onto a couple of pods!!!
P1040246_zps0d330c81.jpg

Super David said:
Burmese Naga has finally hung onto a couple of pods!!!
P1040246_zps0d330c81.jpg

Ahhh aint she so cute :cool:

Hey Megamoo have you seen Composted Pine Bark for use in soils anywhere?
Just thought I would try some but bloody hard to come by. I also noticed the Debco Organic mix I am using has got some in there too.
Was thinking about experimenting with it.

Micca

Micca302 said:
Hey has anyone managed to get Debco Organic mix from Bunnings?
I had a look and their website says they carry it for only $9.50 per 30lt bag! I have tried a few stores but have not found any.

Micca

I have seen a range of Debco at Bunnings in Midland. I was soil shopping the other day and could not remember which of their lines to buy. Which Debco product are you guys getting?

So I left with Richgro mushroom  and Organic compost.
I ended up with this mix.

1 part Mushroom
1 part organic
1 part coco coir
1 part Perlite

So far my established plants seem to be enjoying their new digs. (Ie they have not carked it yet). They are planted into the 40L multicolour tubs Bunnings had on sale over the break. I went with grey ones because I figured it would be a good colour for minimal heat absorbtion. For less than $7 each and being bigger than a 50mm pot I thought they were great value. The handles are strong enough that you can easily shift the plants around. Details on them at the bottom.

I drilled a heap of holes in the tubs for drainage added a 2cm layer of expanded clay for increased drainage and filled them up with the above mix. Once they were planted, they got a 2" layer of the Lupin compost that is currently available. It looks to be a great product and has a rich caramel smell to it.

I have also since added to the above tubs a ring of the perforated soaking tube at the same size as the plants previous pot. They get watered for around 15minutes each night via a tap controlled 13mm feeder hose. The tap is opened around 15%.

main.jpg

Chiliville is still cranking along nicely with some 90+ seedlings growing. The original seedlings are contining to grow and I have a few out on the deck to harden off. I had some great and not so great germination from the seeds planted in the coco coir tray. Most types had a better than 50% germination rate. A few had all seeds germinate a couple had 2 or three anda couple had none. Which I do not think is too bad for my first effort. I will try to get some photo updates over the week end.

I have plenty of pods ripening at the moment.
The Heritage Burmese?? has ripened into a fire engine red colour after being two tone black and green. It is a smallish pod around 2" maximum size with quite a good seed load inside. Superdave you are more than welcome to a few pods.  The pods are quite hot to eat with a fruity taste

The Golden Needle?? seemed to have skipped the golden part and has gone straight to red again this is a heavy seeder, with a mild lasting heat

Random chili which just looks like a coles variety "hot chili is doing quite well with plenty of pods ripening to red, taste is just your run of the mill chili and heat. I will have to post this one up for ID but I do not think
it is anything special.

My Serrano seems to be fighting black spot at the moment and is moved away from other plants. But is holding onto a couple of pods that were there when we bought it.

Cheers for the info Highlucks, i might give them a call. I am using the Debco Organic Mix.
Great to see your plants are going well. With 40lt containers they should be REAL happy, unlike the person who has to buy all the soil to go in them :P

Micca

Thanks man, Is that the organic potting mix? I could not see a Debco Compost product anywhere and did six laps looking.

I was fortunate this time the soil came from Xmas vouchers and I do not have to buy my perlite so I save a lot there. My partner works for a wholesale nursery. They mix perlite and potting mix at around 3:1. use it once for seedlings and then dispose of it. I have around 350L at home waiting to be used.

Yeah it was the potting mix. Cheers for looking.
Way to go with the perlite, pretty sweet deal. Sounds like you have got it sorted mate will have to post some piccies when they start crankin  :cool:

Micca

Micca302 said:

Ahhh aint she so cute :cool:

Hey Megamoo have you seen Composted Pine Bark for use in soils anywhere?
Just thought I would try some but bloody hard to come by. I also noticed the Debco Organic mix I am using has got some in there too.
Was thinking about experimenting with it.

Micca

Not that I can remember.  I've seen composted pine bark as mulch but it might have said not to be used in soil or something like that.  My memory is hazy at the best of times. :P 

I'd give it a go if I were you.  At worst you'll learn what not to do.

Cheers Moo. I found a real good one on the net but they didn't deliver to WA.
They recommended custom soils(c.wise), but a bit of a drive down near Mandurah.
Will keep looking.

Micca

I've had half a dozen chillies killed off through sunscald :( 

Everything in direct sun after 12 was wilting but gave an extra water and as soon as the sun was off them they perked up again.  Another 40+ day tomorrow too !

Noticed signs of mites on one plant in the chilli hedge which means everything has been exposed.  Time to order in the predatory mites.

megamoo said:

Everything in direct sun after 12 was wilting but gave an extra water and as soon as the sun was off them they perked up again.  Another 40+ day tomorrow too !

Noticed signs of mites on one plant in the chilli hedge which means everything has been exposed.  Time to order in the predatory mites.
I just notices some sun burnt chillies too! only my F1 super chili..must be the upward pointing chilies! they crispy

megamoo said:

Re: Sun scald... sorry to hear that Moo.  At least you have a massive crop to cope.  If I lost another 6 to heat after the BLS, I'd be back to needing more seedling to have any hope of chillies this year.

Re: Mites - what are the signs? 

Super David said:
I just notices some sun burnt chillies too! only my F1 super chili..must be the upward pointing chilies! they crispy

At least the plant is alive to set some more pods Dave!

One of my Douglahs got bad bad wilt, and I lost a few leaves from it, but apart from that it came back ok after moving to more shade and a water.

Fingers crossed for a better outcome today after this hot one.

Wasn't so hot down here in Bunno yesterday - perhaps 37.

My chillies are still suffering from heavy leaf drop for some reason. I just went out and picked up a good couple of fistfulls from my 25 or so pots.

Seems worse in the plants that are in more sun, but it's not exclusive to them. One of my two purple habs has lost approximately 50% of its leaves. The new growth was quite crispy so perhaps it was fried... I don't know. My large Chocolate Bhut doesn't seem bothered too badly but it could also have enough leaves so I don't notice some drop.

I'm worried that perhaps Im overwatering again - but it's hard not to up on the balcony where they wilt like crazy without at least a bit of water every morning. Going to try to back off over the coming week.

Or is this perhaps a reaction to finally getting a bit of hot weather and the plants are adjusting?

I also think I have some sort of pest going on, although I don't see anything other than the usual aphids which I squish the second I clap eyes on them. Some of my plants, particularly the annuums, have slightly yellowed lower leaves and the underside is covered in a sort of whitish, almost silvery, film extending from the central vein outwards. It can't be rubbed off. Does anyone have a clue what this might be?

Photos as promised.

Repost of the seed tray to show what has come up.

1476141_10151779118121932_894459456_n.jpg

525399_10151840940686932_346430745_n.jpg

Some of the seedlings

1607042_10151840940701932_1850142587_n.jpg

1525342_10151840940706932_360561740_n.jpg

These guys are the ones on the deck hardening off.

1557559_10151840940816932_833413640_n.jpg

Serrano Suffering from Black spot

1607075_10151840940731932_1978284810_n.jpg

1525709_10151840940766932_1607070941_n.jpg

This is the random chili, not to sure of the type.

1012133_10151840940861932_869385611_n.jpg

1012654_10151840940961932_770750405_n.jpg

I have more photos to post, but am unable to do so until some one else posts.

Back